Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

Ah thats a good point, centifugal/radial forces increase so more power needed to turn and what not.

I've never ridden one but I think they 'look' great; that Surly is a really nice bike, and I love the Kona :cool:

Being, as I am, something of a geriatric I started my riding on 26" wheels when they were considered 'small' and graduated to 'grown-up' 27 x 1 1/4 as soon as I was big enough. My road bike has 700C wheels and I've a 5-speed SA hubbed 'Fixie' style McCleans in the pipeline with 27's and I'm always surprised to be reminded how much quicker rolling they seem to be than my 26" MTB's...

...therefore I see no reason why I wouldn't like a 29'er ;)

29er

I have only dabbled in one and once moving felt like a Panzer tank (this in a local park!).

If you are into motorcycles then the 29er is like a gs 1150, the 26 more like a Triumph. Street triple.

I suspect that for my commute along a canal path, some of it very muddy and uneven its ideal. I dare not try on though!

I am looking forward to what Geneasw do with them especially in steel frame.

I have a trek 29er and was amazed to be honest just how easy it was to ride almost like an extra smile per mile boost. I intend to keep a 29er in the fleet.

13":3na9i3gj said:
Over the years I've had 2 gt peace 29er's, a cannondale 29er and recently a 2012 gt karakoram 29er.
So it's fair to say I've given them a fair go.
I can see a use for 29er's on non technical enduro style tracks, riding around a paddock or commuting as they do roll in a straight line nicely.

When riding on single track with medium technicality the bigger wheels seem to slow them down, giving the bike a slugish feel.
On sharp slow up hill turns the longer wheel base becomes an issue, giving the bike a slow wide arc that you really have to learn how to fight.
Again on slow up hill turns the whack head angle (29er's have a steeper head angle to stop the wheel base getting even longer) gives the bike a feeling of wanting to fall over when the momentum slows down.
After spending a good amount of time and patience on both I'm now more than ever in the 26 inch camp.
29ers have to make so many sacrafices with geometry to accomodate the larger wheels that the negetives out weigh the positives.
29er's are here to stay but will only ever make it as an enduro bike.
XC, DH, DJ, 4X and trail riders won't ever fully embrace them due to handling and strength issues.
26 inches is my wepon of choice.

That's a good, well rounded comment based on riding quite a few 29ers...it does make me feel better about staying in the 26 camp!

I commuted on a 29er for about 2 years (canal towpath) so never really got a full idea of what they are like offroad but I just think the power required to turn the bigger wheels made me feel quite tired at the end of each ride. Could juet be me but it's funny how I'm now back on a 26 bike singlespeeded and fully loaded up with rear panniers and it's far less tiring to ride!

neebsta":34srrira said:
Neil G":34srrira said:
I think they probably are 'smoother' and may let a lot of clumsier/less proficient riders get away with stuff they wouldn't on a 26. I'm in no doubt in the right hands they may be quicker but I don't think they will make slow riders quick...that takes fitness and some skill!

For me there is no question that a larger wheel is not as strong as a smaller one so they're probably going to be less suitable for more radical riding (airing, tabletops etc.)

Yeah, what the heck, what do the professional MTB riders know eh???

:idea: :roll: :oops:

They know how to pedal hard. They ride their sponsors bikes,it doesnt matter to me.

I`ve ridden 29ers,(quick test)and dont have that WOW! feeling..

Lenni":31swiody said:
neebsta":31swiody said:
Neil G":31swiody said:
I think they probably are 'smoother' and may let a lot of clumsier/less proficient riders get away with stuff they wouldn't on a 26. I'm in no doubt in the right hands they may be quicker but I don't think they will make slow riders quick...that takes fitness and some skill!

For me there is no question that a larger wheel is not as strong as a smaller one so they're probably going to be less suitable for more radical riding (airing, tabletops etc.)

Yeah, what the heck, what do the professional MTB riders know eh???

:idea: :roll: :oops:

They know how to pedal hard. They ride their sponsors bikes,it doesnt matter to me.

I`ve ridden 29ers,(quick test)and dont have that WOW! feeling..

Yep, they get given superlight bikes to ride and train all the time so suits them fine.

Let's not forget that professional's bikes get a complete overhaul every week, whereas we expect our bikes to last a little longer.
To them it doesn't matter if the wheels are out of true at the end of a downhill, they hae mechanics to sort that stuff out.

I had a go on a 29er a while back, and am convinced now that it's not my cup of tea.
Firstly, I'm only 5'9-ish, so the wheels felt truly enormous. To get a 29er down to a wheelbase that suits my length (or lack of it) and riding style, it'd have to be so short that the front wheel and pedals can touch eachother.
Secondly, I prefer street or real technical tracks with lots of short corners, 2 situations where any mediocre 26 will pummel even the best 29 money can buy.

So for me it's simple. There's no substitute for 26 inches.

i'd like a go on one, just so i have.
i wont be replacing my 26 bikes any time soon though. i think marketing is the reason for 29 bikes. there is so much choice for everything else that something completely different had to be thought up. that creates a need for new componants so fox/ rockshox will be happy. mavic wont be complaining either.

I commuted on a 29er for about 2 years (canal towpath) so never really got a full idea of what they are like offroad but I just think the power required to turn the bigger wheels made me feel quite tired at the end of each ride. Could juet be me but it's funny how I'm now back on a 26 bike singlespeeded and fully loaded up with rear panniers and it's far less tiring to ride![/quote]

Was it just the weight of them or something else? I am curious because I would have thought that a 29er would have been easier on a row path

Back