Tubular repair

jCymbal

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I got a cut in my rear wheel tubular. I must have run over some glass and it cut through the rubber but not the casing. I kept it on use and the cut is getting wider with the casing starting to show.

I remember seeing in some old catalogue from the 30's/40's that they use to sell some king of glue/cement(?) to repair these little cuts. Is there a similar modern product that I can use to close that widening cut?

Thanks in advance!

It was called 'tread stopper' and was a thick black rubbery stuff that you 'rubbed' into the cut to fill it. I found that it was next to useless, the first ride and it fell off. I even tried putting rubber solution in the cut first but it made no difference.

I guess this tube will be for 'getting-home-only' use, folded under your sadle. Now and then remove it and pump it up.
It is wise to buy your tubes a year ahead and store them cool (not too cool) and dark. And before that treat the tread of the tire with vinegar, to harden up. It will help. I do have tubes ride on for more than two seasons, handled with care.
I do repair them myself, even the owner of the LBS did phone me up for assistance sometimes.

I used to repair mine when I rode tubs.........i found nylon fishing line the best for sewing up the casing.

Super glue for me as well. Stick it the cut and pump it up so its roughly the shape you want to ride on.

Going the super glue way you don't want to over fill the cut with loads of glue as super glue will set hard and not flex and will eventually crack.

This is how i glue any cuts ;) :-

1. Deflate the tyre.
2. Thoroughly clean the cut with thinners or white spirit.
3. Allow to completely dry, use an hair-drier if you want to.
4. Get a wood tooth-pick.
5. Pinch the tyre to open up the cut.
6. Dip your tooth-pick in the super glue [not too much]
7. Dabble the tip of the tooth-pick into the cut.
8. Remove tooth-pick *very quickly* if you don't the glue will bond the stick and the rubber together.
9. Close the cut up *quickly* by pinching the sides of the tyre and pushing down on the tread, hold until set. [maybe 20 seconds]
10. Any excess which comes out the cut, just leave it alone ! If you try to rub it off your skin will bond with the rubber within a second or so :oops:

REMEMBER ONLY USE HIGH QUALITY 'LOCTITE' SUPER GLUE -NOT THAT CHEAP POUND STUFF :roll:

Back