DiamondBacks-Let's see them...

An '88 Ascent EX I picked up not long ago on the 'bay.

Advertised along the lines of 'ex display model/as new'. The only bits altered as far as I can see- Tyres and Exage Mountain 6 speed thumbies removed replaced with Gripshift Max's.

A few chips to paint and a little ageing here and there but virtually unused eg no marking to rim braking surfaces, chainrings/cogs 'as new', saddle pristine.

Think I'll make a few changes and get riding :D

Attachments

• DB 881.jpg
    DB 881.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,564
  • DB 88 4.jpg
    DB 88 4.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,561
Konaglider":2ehgklds said:
An '88 Ascent EX I picked up not long ago on the 'bay.

Hi KG,

I like that a lot , looks stunning, will you get it dirty ??? Do I spy Exage Mountain groupset :cool:

Im not so sure on the sofa....... erm saddle, (if it be the original it would be work keeping in a box) :LOL:

Cheers

GM

I will use it after a bit of fiddling, would be rude not to!

The angles and the nice'tingy/pingy' Tange tubes will make for a pretty 'far-out' ride I'm hoping.

Always a bit wary of these horizontalish drop-outs though, the wheel shifting under drive with anything less than track nuts, we'll see.

My first MTB: a '92 Response:

Sold it in '95 and this is the only full picture I have of it.

I bought a '94 Axis frame from Ed (Orange71) last year that I'm about to send to the powdercoaters and then build up to try and relive the memories.

Attachments

• response02.jpg
    response02.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,511
c242bc7b.jpg

Bit of a state in that pic, it's getting some well needed attention at the moment.

1996 or 1997 WCF 6.1

Just resurrecting this with a current-ish pic' of my '88 Ascent EX.

I stuck some skinny tyres on it for a road ride the other night as my road bike was stuffed. I expected to be left behind but it totally surprised me, flew along!

Love it.

Attachments

• DSCaex.JPG
    DSCaex.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 574
Great thread. DiamondBacks were killer bikes back in the day.

I wish I still had my 92 Apex or pics of it atleast. Many of my riding buddies had DB's over the years.

My first 'proper' mountain bike was a 93 Axis and what I loved was that it was full XT right down to the hubs. I still have the frame in the loft but probably won't use it again but it has good memories.

Back