1996 Judy XC rebuild - FINISHED (page 7) 30/05/12

Right, today I took the plunge and this is all that came out...

3a39beb2.jpg

I can't seperate the RH outer leg from the stanchion, what am I doing wrong?? and what internals do I need to rebuild them fully??

Hellllllp... :LOL:

Leave the bolt in the bottom of the leg. Loosen it a few turns and then give the bolt a tap with a hammer.

REKIBorter":1r70casx said:
Leave the bolt in the bottom of the leg. Loosen it a few turns and then give the bolt a tap with a hammer.

Cheers Chris.... half an hour of heave-ho'ing and it finally came out... it was very very stuck.. :oops: I assume I'll have to undo the circlip at the bottom of the stanchion to get the elastomers out of that side??

The elastomer normally come out when you undo the top cap unless they have turned to mush!. Undoing the circlip will let the dummy leg out so you will have access to whatever is inside the stanchion.

Charlieboy28 found some Judy bushings fo sale in the USA if you need some?

The spring came out on one side, no problems. but on the RH (drive) side, I've shone a torch down there and there looks to be elastomers down there still (possibly up to about the half-way mark??)

A photo 'how to' (step by step) would be really useful for an idiot like me, I think... :oops: :LOL:

When you replace the circlip it must go back in with the flat side facing down. One edge is rounded the other is flat.

Ok, I'm starting to think there's no elastomers in my forks... :oops: :oops:

Why do these guides have to be packed with so much bloody jargon.. :evil:

That stanchion is bad, both contact area have corroded, it's usable after a polish but not going to be silky smooth. What's the other leg like?

Pop the circlips off both legs, and tap from the MCU*/Spring side with a long rod. Though really both 'rods' should just pull out, one with a large cylinder attached**

After that the leftovers can be man handled out ;)

See if the service guides here help at all, the 1996 SL shows what MCU's you should have had. Springs will have been an upgrade later on.
TMB 1998 guide will give an idea of the look of things, a bit newer though.

*elastomer to you, but there is a difference
**aka the damper... in your previously stuck side.

Back