1988 Specialized Rockhopper (Revisited)

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all

Back in 1988, aged 18, a young lad from Hull popped down the local bike shop and bought a brand new yellow Specialized Rockhopper. There began a love affair that is still raging today. I have recently managed to get my grubby little hands on an almost standard 1988 Specialized Rockhopper in the same crazy yellow.

The bike received 'The Treatment' within a few days of it being delivered to me, it got stripped down to component level and cleaned, service and polished. The bottom bracket, hubs and headset seemed to have been untouched since it was built. As far as i can tell the only non standard kit are the tyres and peddles. I have the peddles which came with it but they need a service, hence them not being fitted.

The plan is to keep the 'Spesh' standard and in this condition, it will be the family cruiser and will have mudguards and a child seat fitted for my 7 month old daughter, not going to put her on it until she's 12 months old though so don't get all shouty at me.

Now the pictures, the first set are of the bike I just bought, the second set as you will see are of my original 1988 one which I rode for many years. Note the components on the old one:

Standard groupset was the heavy but strong Shimano Exage Mountain.

Bike now weighs: 29.6lb

Slowly replaced with:

Acerbis Hand Guards
Selle Italia Turbo white saddle
Shimano Deore XT thumb shifters (Only sold these recently, now kicking myself)
Tange Prestige handle bar
Tioga T-Bone 150mm bar stem
Shimano 105 rear mech
Deore XT rear mech (Only sold these recently, now kicking myself)
Deore XT front mech (Only sold these recently, now kicking myself)
Campag headset
Project 2 forks
Suntour XC9000 chainset (I think it was the 9000)
Deore XT Shark Fin
Deore U-Brake, removed from chainstay, re brazed onto seat stay, complete with new cable hangar
Deore front cantilevers
Tioga peddles
Tioga Farmer John (Rear) and Farmer John's Cousin (Front) tyres

The new bike, bought a few weeks ago:

Now the old bike, bought 1988 (Pictures taken in 1988/89):

Nope. Same bike, different config.

I had the U-Brake braze on's professionally removed from the chainstays. The frame builder then added new braze on mounts to the seat stays. Hey presto, U-Brake power with no mud clogging issues.

:)

Love that :cool:

Will you be bringing it to some proper rides or just keeping for family duties?

chrisv40":2glul5qc said:
Love that :cool:

Will you be bringing it to some proper rides or just keeping for family duties?

I may just have to drag the old thing out for a ride or two. Was thinking about heaving it along to the ride on the 27th but I think I'll be running with the Prestige.

Took her out for a ride around Hull, the old stomping ground, Anlaby, Willerby and Kirkella the other week with my pal on his DB Topanga....the pictures were taken outside the M&S cafe on Springfield Way near Anlaby.

The DB Topanga is currently in bit's, awaiting 'The Treatment' hehe

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

Love that! I had a Rockhopper in '89, one of the grey ones with LX everywhere. Think it was the first year without the U-Brake. Great bike and some happy memories. Would love to find some pictures from back in the day - white Reeboks and my sweater tucked into the top of my pale blue jeans. Happy days.

Back