1991 Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works

stumper

Dirt Disciple
heidi01side.jpg

heidi02bar.jpg

Say hello to "heidi" :)

I built her this spring after gathering all the parts over the winter. The seller of the frame said the bike had never been built up, but I think it might have had some parts on it and it sat on the showroom floor, unsold. At any rate, the frame is absolutely mint. She is my new pride and joy. Parts worth mentioning:

Frame and fork: NOS 91 Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works
shifters: NOS Shimano XT SL-M732, 7 Speed thumbies
brake levers: NOS Shimano BL-M733
rear hub: NOS Shimano R080 Silent Clutch
front hub: Paul FHUB
front derailleur: shimano xtr m971
rear derailleur: Shimano XT Rear Mech 9sp M771 - SGS - Long Cage
rims: Mavic XC 717 32H
cranks: RaceFace turbine triple
rings: BLACKSPIRE
saddle: Serfas CRB-RS2B Phantom Carbon

Here is a post outlining the build with way more pictures when it was complete: http://www.birdieman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1329098893/0#0

I like it and the build link that you gave.

I also plan to use XT 7/8? thumbies on my next build and was wondering if you could give more information on the cassette and spacers that you used. Any help would be appreciated.

Nice frame!
In my own opinion, this is far too nice to have such a mix of parts on it though and is crying out for a period correct build.
At least it's getting used though!

Midorimage":3oz7qbh8 said:
I like it and the build link that you gave.

I also plan to use XT 7/8? thumbies on my next build and was wondering if you could give more information on the cassette and spacers that you used. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes I used an 8 speed cassette with my 7 speed shifters, utilizing that magic extra shifting slot. For the spacers I used, see here: http://www.birdieman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1329098893/0#11

It was my first time taking a cassette apart. The first cassette was a shimano HG-51. It didn't have the allen key bolts to take apart, but rather 9 different rivets holding it together. So I surfed the web and found a post where the guy said to grind the tops off the rivets. That was a failure!
Next cassette was an HG-40, still no allen key bolts, but only 3 rivets. This time I used a drill with a drill bit that was slightly larger than the head of the rivet, that worked beautifully. Just drill a bit, then try and tap it through until it comes loose.

That frame is a beauty... nice to see it's being used would prefer to see it getting muddy though as intended :LOL:

makster":2m889kgq said:
Nice frame!
In my own opinion, this is far too nice to have such a mix of parts on it though and is crying out for a period correct build.
At least it's getting used though!

Exactly my thoughts!!

I just love the frame, not sure 'bout the mixture of modern and retro, though!

But just use it and love it, and if you don't, just sell it to me! ;)

Back