1994 Kona Kilauea not for the purist. includes BARENDS

Good stuff, never thought of that. Seems strange though that the 'Mountain shock' and 'P2' decals are a perfect match i.e Black & Orange.

alkingsmill":3gsem1pm said:
Seems strange though that the 'Mountain shock' and 'P2' decals are a perfect match i.e Black & Orange.

Probably not that strange if you consider that the decals are highly likely to have come from the one supplier in colours specified by Kona ;)

That Lava Dome originated through me, lovely bike that, it has not had a sympathetic build for many many years. I think i may still have the front wheel around somewhere :?

I have already tried using T-cut and even rubbing compound, I'm afraid that is about as good as that colour is likely to get.

Good luck with the build, that has great potential but it would look best period correct (roughly) ;)

Anthony":1yfvdltm said:
unless it's just the cameras, I could swear they're different colours as well.

It's just a white balance issue - ie. camera not set for the correct colour temperature. Easiest is to set the colour temp from a white card (in the same light as the subject).

Nice ride! I can confirm that the Project 2 is the original fork for this bike- I know because I'm still riding my '94 Kilauea that I bought new in '94 (am I dating myself?)

I don't remember what the options were for forks, but I have the same Mountain Shock logo and I bought it with a rigid fork that said Project 2 until the stickers wore off.

By the way, I'm still riding the original frame, fork, stem, headset, crankset and front hub. It's been converted to a single speed and it's still an awesome bike. (ps- I switched to a black seatpost also). I've bought, ridden, and sold a lot of mountain and road bikes in the past 20 years, but I'll never get rid of the Kilauea. I'm riding that one into my grave.

Good luck with it

I take back what I just wrote. The decals on my frame are so worn I can barely read them. I knew it said *Something* Lite- it's actually Race Lite. It seems others might be right that the Mountain Lite came with a shock and the Race Lite came with the rigid fork. That makes sense. The colors and decals of my race lite are exactly the same as your bike however so I think they are exactly the same frame except for the the top tube decal.

A minor quibble- still a great bike!

kona kilauea

i am riding a kona kilauea 94 as a single speed hack bike and a friend of mine gave me some cane creek bar ends, i thought them a little strange so never fitted them till i saw the pictures of your kona. wow they are really good and i love the look, retro meets new age kinda funk thing..lol. i agree a nice addition for some extra comfort. thanks for posting the picture.

Back