Merckx Corsa Extra in Team Panasonic Paint-new pic!!

fluffman

Dirt Disciple
Right then chaps, I have donned the flame retardant jumpsuit and am ready to post a new project.

I purchased a lovely Corsa Extra in Columbus SLX from Citizen Snips- a great transaction, thank you Vince!

The build is primarily an Ultegra gruppo, with a Campy headset and Veloce compact crankset- lots of hills where I live in Northern California- and finished off with a set of NOS Dura Ace hubs laced to new Velocity A23s. It was the first time I have built my own wheels and it was an enormously rewarding experience!

For more pics, see http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/52809680 ... x?h=95d5e1

Attachments

• Full view Merckx copy small.jpg
    Full view Merckx copy small.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,035
I will - it's beautiful... A Corsa Extra is on my wishlist, and I'm reading William Fotheringhams new Merckx bio at the moment, so even more inspiration. Not sure how I missed this when you posted it in April.

The modern kit really suits it. I haven't been able to open the Dropbears gallery here at work but will try later from home.

nice!
retrobike purists don't seem to like bikes with modern groupsets...
more fool them.
A great build - well done on the wheels. I've just ridden 45 miles through the hills on a bike i built up completely myself and nothing fell off(including me)
Very satisfying :cool:

Many thanks for your feedback chaps. The wheels were particularly satisfying, and an exercise I would recommend everyone try at least once. I have to say with the 25mm tires on the Velocity rims, the ride is superb!

Prettier than mine, earlier too, I'd guess, with the lugs for the cables on the toptube? Grats on the wheel building, I have done a couple of motorbike wheels, and it isn't easy. Do you have to allow for offset on the rear (ashamed to say I've never looked that closely at a roadbike wheel)?

Latest posts

Back