My first restoration!

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
My first restoration! :D

This is the first bike I have restored, although to be honest all it needed was a strip down, good clean and put back together.

It is a Romani from the late eighties or early nineties. I can’t find out much about them on the internet, but from what I have found they were a respected producer of bikes at all levels although they went out of business in the early nineties.

It is all original I think, save the brake hoods and saddle. I also replaced the bar tape, and brake cables and covers.

If anyone can tell me more about the bike I’d love to know more.

I bought the bike as a cheap way to get back into road cycling, planning to buy a nice shiny new bike at the end of the year if I was enjoying it, but now I think I have got the restoration bug! I am looking for my next project… :D

CIMG6664.jpg

CIMG6670.jpg

CIMG6667.jpg

CIMG6668.jpg

CIMG6669.jpg

That's a nice-looking bike. :cool: Haven't heard of Romani myself but it's always nice to see something different. It's also nice to see someone taking care of a bike that uses Exage or similar components.

Romani were imported during the late 80's by Wielersport in Cantley near Doncaster. Here's part of an advert from a March '89 Cycling showing their range - and prices.

However, your model doesn't seem to be included as all the ones in the advert have chrome forks and internal rear brake cable. Perhaps it is a slightly later one, the unicrown fork possibly indicates this.

Attachments

• Wielersport Romani March 89.jpg
    Wielersport Romani March 89.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 775
Many thanks for that info.

The Doncaster link makes sense as the chap I bought it from in Sheffield siad that he bought it from the original owner who lived in Doncaster, and as I live near Howden I don't think the bike has ever left the area!

Back