what have I bought? FW Evans 531

SIMONFREESE

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I came across this today and made an impulse buy, so immediate was the impulse that I had to run around the corner to my mother in law and borrow the money!

I have now put my last mountain bike up for sale to pay for this one, needs must when you gather an unhealthy interest in road bikes!

Here it is:

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0757-1.jpg

Looks like a Veloce groupset, I have not had time to do anything to it yet, but it certainly needs a good clean, new bar tape, lose the rack, and probably the mudguards. Also new tyres.

Any thoughts or opinions? Honest ones especially appreciated!

You've bought something very nice, specifically the frameset. It's a newish bike built to a similar specification as a touring bike about 25 years ago, but with some more modern and practical components like the brake/gear shifters.

So your bike is certainly not a vintage FW Evans bike, which is probably just as well if you're new to all this, as it'll probably all work well and spares won't be an issue. As I'm sure you know, FW Evans became the bike shop chain currently known as 'Evans Cycles'. They were getting touring bikes just like yours made by Pashely not long ago, and still sell them now for about £1500.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pas ... e-ec029308

Yours is arguably worth more than this with a Veloce groupset.

If you don't think you'll use a pannier bag, then ditch the rack, but not the mudguards. You've got a touring bike there, and they don't look better without mudguards and you won't regret keeping them on when you're next riding through puddles and not getting a wet bum !

Thank you for the reassurance!

Looks like I did the right thing then, I am fairly new to road bikes, I owned a Raleigh Record Sprint during my youth and am currently building another one with the help of people on this forum. When I saw this bike I just had to have it, although I am far from experienced in these matters I have drooled over similar frames and groupsets many times, so had a rough idea that it was worth buying!

You are right about the mud guards, I commute 70 miles a week and know what it is to have a wet bottom, especially over the last month!

Once I have given it a good clean I wil post some more pictures...

That looks lovely Simon - I'd ditch the rack and change the mudguards for some shiny polished Gilles Berthoud ones for that classic Randonneur look!

Look forward to more phots! I recommend Jan Heine's Off The Beaten Track blog for inspiration, a good read.

Thanks Rich.

New mud guards would be a good idea I agree, I will certainly have a look at the ones you recommend, and some blog related inspiration sounds like a good idea as well!

Hope you are keeping well!

Very well except I have no time to fettle or ride any of my bikes - I'd have your GT Tempest if I did...! Latest addition to the stable is a 1975 Alex Singer which is why I'm so fired up about classic touring bikes. I'll post it on here when I get the time. Look forward to some phots of your Evans in the middle of nowhere leaning against an old gate!

Sounds like a good excuse for a ride!

Hope you find some more time soon, I have a similar situation here with the usual time constraints of work and home life...

I am now thinking of nice gates in the vicinity, I live next door to a victorian church and imagine that leaning the Evans against it would provide a similar effect!

I agree with the mudguards suggestion - keep them and the rack, get some low-rider fronts, prop stand, extra mudguard fenders, carradice saddlebag, sanyo dynamo, ctc badge, rough-stuff fellowship badge, randonneur bars, bar end shifters, mirror...

(Sorry, it appers my midlife crisis just started in your thread).

It looks a great bike and I would keep it as is.

:)

Way2many, yes the bolt is missing. This is a problem that needs sorting, the post needs to come out but seems stuuck. The frame looks fine so I am not worried, but any suggestions for safe removal, including professional options, would be greatfully received!

DaEvo, your suggestions make me laugh. I have to draw the line at mirrors, they are an accessory too far! I am on CTC already so had better order the badge! Hope my firm decision on the mirrors will not provoke the same reaction as the current Dawes Fixie no brake thread fiasco, I am new to the world of touring!!

The mudguards are going back on for now, pending a purchase of the lovely ones recommended by Rich, I have been cleaning it up over the last couple of days, it realy is a nice bike...

Back