2012 Genesis Croix de Fer

BobCatMax":3357a5q2 said:
Not sure what headset to have it replaced with, as listening to you guys and chatting to my mate at work, it sounds like their own branded (el-cheapo?) headset hasn't been up to the job at hand. Any suggestions?

Cane Creek S-3 or S-8? Personally, I don't think that you can go wrong with Cane Creek, they're all I use.

BobCatMax":116iken6 said:
Not sure what headset to have it replaced with, as listening to you guys and chatting to my mate at work, it sounds like their own branded (el-cheapo?) headset hasn't been up to the job at hand. Any suggestions?

I expect it was missed on PDI and it's just devoid of grease, I had a pal with a 6K Trek that had a dry headset from new, I think it lasted a fortnight before it gave trouble.
Either way, should be an easy (but unnecessary) fix.

I actually looked at a Croix de Fer when choosing a commuter earlier this year but a complete lack of dealers in my area and a friend giving me a very generious discount on a Tricross Comp sealed the deal.

I must admit, the Croix de Fer is a handsome looking bike though !

Baby got Back!

finally managed to get the bike on the back of the car (a mission in itself - convertible cars do not like bikes on them) and off to Chi-Town to get it looked at.

I'd barely walked in the door before they'd recognised me (not bad for only 2 visits, they even got my name right!) and practically pulled the headset apart with me still holding on to the bike - hows that for service!?

So it looks like that there was some kind of internal dust - left over particulate from the powder coat, maybe? anyway, the bottom bearings and race were a mess. they pulled the lot out, replaced it with an M:part Pro and a complete check over (re-did the front gear cable, the brakes, regreased everything etc) within a couple of hours FOC

brilliant.

very happy little man over here right now :cool:

CroixDeFer-Fixed.jpg

great stuff , hoping to maybe swing one of these on the next bike to work scheme :D

How do these handle on the trails, i love the idea of bike that is the best of both worlds. Guess you can't ride it through the thick stuff?

I've been looking at the Genesis 853 MTB frames, they look awesome... may have to spend some well earned money on a Genesis bike

Fast, if you can build up enough courage. went out with a few friends on mtb's and kept up no problem but did manage to scare myself stupid a few times :LOL:

it was a bit rattley though, but i would put that down to not riding rigid off road in a very very long time.

I've also not gotten fully past my pathological fear of mud, so i haven't been out in anything too gloopy, but it seems to cope ok with the stuff i have been out in.

the brakes are a little too good, i'm almost through the tread on the rear tyre

on the way home yesterday:

e2f3b5829bb811e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg

We went and had a look in the shop today thankfully the mrs really liked the croix de fer but being my women she hates white and now knows there is a lower budget model (the blue cdf) and Genesis are currently out of stock of them we have a month to decide before the cycle to work scheme is due

I think daj, if you can stretch to it, go for this one

bb7 vs bb5 on the brakes (from what i've heard) is no contest

whether that would be worth it alone, i don't nkow but the others are:

Reynolds 725 vs 520
Tiagra 10 vs Sora 9

and i have no idea what the weight difference would be

did you pick up a copy of the catalogue?

Back