1988 Peugeot Aravis

Just a shame to see them ride past me around two weeks later, wheels, bars, brakes and gears replaced, and the thing turned into a luminous hipster fixie monster!

build progress

Gradually been assembling the bits and pieces for the rebuild. It's turning into a bit of a Ron Kitchen special, with Tange Falcon headset and Tange sealed bearing bottom bracket, combined with Modolo brakes. Anyway, the transmission is in place more or less...

DSCF0333.jpg

I am cheating a bit with the crankset. Rather than an ultra rare Mavic it's actually a somewhat cheaper Ofmega. If a genuine Mavic one crops up at the right price i'll probably replace it. Likewise, I might cheat with the brakes. They are Modolos of the same sort Mavic used to use. I wire-wooled the Modolo sticker off them and I might put a Mavic one on instead: sacrilage!

Anyway, most of the components are now fitted and I must say the bike is incredibly light, even compared to modern stuff. Quite surprised really. Hope it'll take my weight!

frame

shawnb":3cw7ba0k said:
What great looking bikes they are, I love that mavic rear deraileur :cool:

I think they said original weight was around 21 lbs in the catalogue.

Did they change the rear stay from 126 to 130 on later models?

just picked up a perthus pro,all original except wheels.Its got a 9spd cassette fitted????.....Thought they were all 6spd.

Good write up, enjoying reading your story.

I really like your bike and how you are restoring it.

Well done man, I shall watch with interest.

It's alive...!

The Aravis lives again...

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

Here are the specs:

Peugeot Aravis
- 531 Professional frame tubes, stays and fork blades, simplex drop outs.
- Cinelli Campioni del Mondo handlebars
- Benotto handlebar tape
- Cinelli XA stem with yellow plastic wedge(!)
- Tange Falcon alloy headset
- Tange sealed bottom bracket
- New White Turbo Saddle
- ITM 26.4mm seat post
- Mavic SSC front and rear mechs
- Ofmega (Mavic-alike) chainset
- Mavic 501 hubs
- DT stainless spokes
- Mavic Open Pro rims
- NOS Michelin Highlight Super Comp HD tyres (700 x 20C)
- 2 x TA bottle cages
- ...and Zefal pump

Back to the future...

So what's it like to ride?

Very nice. It's a proper racer and picks up speed really quickly. Its certainly not as rigid (I guess) as a modern bike, but it is very responsive yet soaks up the bumps really well. It's great - brings back all those memories of school boy circuit racing in 1989! Albeit at a slower pace...

Subject of mid-life crisis, next week the bike is going to the French Alps, and we are making a detour - read pilgrimage - to the Col d Aravis. I'll post up some nice pictures!

Really really nice, even those tyres are perfect for it being almost white wall instead of gumwall :cool:

Back