The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Can I butt in with a question about my Meridian 506 CD player?

I'll assume that's a 'yes Neil, please do.'

It will no longer see the CD when inserted. This started as an occasional / intermittent fault (the worst kind), then became a bit more stubborn and finally it just will not play. In between the intermittent bouts, it would play perfectly.

I have done some reading and pulled the transport to bits, but the gummed up grease that most on-line advisers talk about was not there, everything is fine. It is also possible to watch the transport 'kick' the platter when you power the player up, but when a CD is inserted it does nothing.

Terminal or repairable?

NeilM":3d8vs55s said:
Can I butt in with a question about my Meridian 506 CD player?

I'll assume that's a 'yes Neil, please do.'

It will no longer see the CD when inserted. This started as an occasional / intermittent fault (the worst kind), then became a bit more stubborn and finally it just will not play. In between the intermittent bouts, it would play perfectly.

I have done some reading and pulled the transport to bits, but the gummed up grease that most on-line advisers talk about was not there, everything is fine. It is also possible to watch the transport 'kick' the platter when you power the player up, but when a CD is inserted it does nothing.

Terminal or repairable?

There are quite a few models of the 506, the first one had the Phillips CDM1 or CDM Pro mechanism (I cant remember which) - these were very quickly replaced with a CD-ROM based (CDM-12?)mechanism. Later models may be repairable but the early models are very difficult to find spares for.

You may be able to turn up the laser via a circuit board preset but I was told this shortens the life of the mech. The presets are often labled 'gain' 'focus' etc, etc. Its been a while since I had a 506 so I cant remember what is what.

some web stuff

philips-cdm-list.jpg

Thanks.

I'll have to pull it to bits again, but from recollection I would say it has the CDM 12.

Is it likely that the laser is just tired out then? If so, I may do some hunting, otherwise it can go in its box in the loft next to my Yamaha that I bought about 20 yards ago and which eventually skipped more than a bunch of 8 year old girls in a playground.

This would suggest the CDM12 mech too.

506_inside.jpg

There's often mechs of all kinds on eBay for sometimes reasonable money - in fact, just had a browse and there's loads starting from around a tenner. Worth a punt!

apache":25q56sw4 said:
This would suggest the CDM12 mech too.

506_inside.jpg

There's often mechs of all kinds on eBay for sometimes reasonable money - in fact, just had a browse and there's loads starting from around a tenner. Worth a punt!

YUP! That's the kiddie.

Cool.

Off to ebay to see what I can find, thanks guys.

I cant find your CD player either.

Where is it?

Ah, there it is!

No idea for sure, but I'd guess at early 90's.

I have a full size Sony CD player as well. But when i listen through headphones direct it sounds terrible. Will it improve if i fit a amp and listen via the amp's headphone socket?

The Technic's player is miles better via headphones.

Hard to say really. Many separate's headphone output is nothing more than a monitor output and can sound rubbish as they can be very low powered.

If you don't have an amp to try it through, you've now way of knowing whether it sounds terrible because of a fault though. Can you not borrow an amp and speakers to try it first?

apache":1hesr9vi said:
Hard to say really. Many separate's headphone output is nothing more than a monitor output and can sound rubbish as they can be very low powered.

If you don't have an amp to try it through, you've now way of knowing whether it sounds terrible because of a fault though. Can you not borrow an amp and speakers to try it first?

Non to borrow. Have been looking on ebay for good low cost amp. About time i bought a decent separates hi-fi. Then i can buy more CD's as only have one at the moment :oops:

Back