1994 Kona Kilauea not for the purist. includes BARENDS

alkingsmill

Old School Hero
Here's my pride and joy, not exactly true to the 90's but no apologies for that. It's the original frame, forks, Headset, stem & bars but most of the rest is a mixture of shiny new Shimano & Raceface stuff. The Evolve Cranks are too chunky for the slim frame but are bulletproof and weigh NOWT. The XT shifters and Brake levers are just plain UGLY !!! but sorry folks you just can't beat this mega9 stuff.

The Cane Creek Ergo Barends are perfect, for anyone who hasn't tried them because they are lower down and not above the bar you don't have to change your hand position as much as with other barends. Probably get slated on here but i love them nevertheless.

I started this project before i discovered RETROBIKE and if i had found this site earlier i might have gone for different bits. Too late now but i'm happy with it.

I read that thread a while a go about prefering new or old, well this is it for me...Light as a feather steel 90's ride with new fangled drive & brakes.

Notice No Suspension of any kind !!

Soz about the pic quality, i took them with a phone this afto and tried to sharpen them a bit.

Frame...1994 Kona Kilauea 18"
Fork....1994 Project 2
Headset...1994 Impact 1-1/8" threaded
Stem....Velocity 120mm
Handlebar....Kona Racelight
Grips....Odi Lock-ons
Brakes...Avid Arch Rival
Brake Levers... BL-M739 XT
Shifters....SL-M750 XT
Front Derailleur...XT
Rear Derailleur...XT
Cassette...HG70 LX
Chain...Shimano HG93
Cables...XTR
Cranks....Race Face DH Evolve
Chainrings...Race Face
Bottom Bracket...Race Face Evolve ISIS
Pedals....Shimano PD-M424
Quick Releases....Mavic
Rims...Mavic Crossland
Hubs...Mavic
Tyres...Panaracer Fire XC Pro folding
Saddle...Flite Titanium
Seatpost...27.0 USE Alien Alu
Weight...Light !!!

Not forgetting those fantastic..Cane Creek Ergo Control Lock-on Barends.

Anyway, first time i've ever tried building a bike from scratch so don't be too mean, eager for some constructive criticism.

Attachments

• Killy1.jpg
    Killy1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 12,653
  • Killy2.jpg
    Killy2.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 12,650
  • Killy3.jpg
    Killy3.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 12,650
  • Killy4.jpg
    Killy4.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 12,653
Just bought this off a lad on here called Hotgolf, understand its been around more than a Pontins waitress but its my turn now. Ill try and be a bit more sympathetic with it and stick some proper old gear on it. Maybe some Pink and Green chainrings to start ? :cool:

Attachments

• 1989_kona_lavadome_422.jpg
    1989_kona_lavadome_422.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 12,612
The Lava Dome paint job is really artistic, isn’t it? It's interesting just how much brighter the colour is where the fm clamp has been protecting it. If it was mine, I'd be very tempted to give it a gentle t-cut. Or would the paint experts on here reckon that could be risky?

I actually think the modern kit on the Kilauea looks ok, except I agree that the shifters/levers are a bit ugly and I personally would prefer a silver post. But the cranks suit it quite well, considering they weren't exactly designed for each other!

Speaking as a student of the issue of what is the difference if any between a 94 Kilauea and a 95 Kilauea http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 434#150434 I'm getting really puzzled now as this is the second 94 Kilauea Mountain Shock in the last few weeks to appear with apparently original Project 2s when mountain shock is supposed to indicate Marzocchi XC51s - and unless it's just the cameras, I could swear they're different colours as well.

Attachments

• 1994 Kilauea size 18.jpg
    1994 Kilauea size 18.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 12,547
  • 1994 Kilauea size 18 mountain shock Harry Burgundy.jpg
    1994 Kilauea size 18 mountain shock Harry Burgundy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12,548
To answer a few of those..I tried a silver seatpost and decided against it, thought the black was a bit more 'Dramatic'. I was told the forks were original and i've no reason to argue, when i bought it it still had many of the original parts so i can't see as the previous owner would have swapped forks.
I know it came with an option of either Marzoccihi suspension forks or P2, the old catalogue just shows the Marzocchi's doesn't it. As far as the colour goes it's probably the camera..this is more of an accurate guide.

Attachments

• original paint job.jpg
    original paint job.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 12,526
If the fork was swapped at the shop when it was sold this results in the fork mountain shock decal mismatch.

Back