May 2012 BoTM Contest - Nominations Please :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
makster":1gz5mq10 said:
JustKev":1gz5mq10 said:
When did BoTM become a photography competition?

I'd say about 2 years ago.
I personally don't pay too much attention to the quality of the pic, it's a contest for the best bike after all, but I've seen lots of fantastic bikes over-looked because of the quality of the picture representing it.
I didn't used to make too much of an effort myself, but realised that a lot of people place almost as much weighting on the presentation as on the standard of the bike itself.
I know full well that a decent pic won me my BoTM. It only took me an extra 30 minutes, which isn't much compared to the time spent building

To be Fair, the comps not about a pic at all.

But......In respect of the Missy Yeti, there are what.....20,000 members, only approx 250 to 300 votes for BOTM

I know its the Missy frame, as im sure many do, but to the untrained eye, a crap picture, and only one picture at that, etc etc......

to some it could be regarded as nothing more than any correct sized Yeti frame with the Missy Giove sticker slapped on the top tube.

And that would be a Travesty.

Hence My point, and "why it does warrant a little more effort" , (especially given the Owners own example of him being told fibs about his own bike in the past, and it upsetting him,).

It is a shame though, when the usual Suspects attempt to stir the pot, try and make it worse, and not actually have anything of structure to say....etc etc... :roll:

sinnerman":399cncq3 said:
It is a shame though, when the usual Suspects attempt to stir the pot, try and make it worse, and not actually have anything of structure to say....etc etc... :roll:

Bingo....

Ductape":u04pkp57 said:
sinnerman":u04pkp57 said:

Bingo....

My point exactly..........do you play often......?

Kelly's eye / At the beginning / Nelson's column
2 One little duck / Me and you
3 You and me / Cup of tea / One Little Flea
4 Knock at the door / B4 (and after)
5 Man alive
6 Tom's tricks / Tom Nix / Chopsticks
7 Lucky seven / God's in heaven
8 One Fat Lady / Golden gate
9 Doctor's orders
10 Tony's Den
11 Legs eleven
12 One dozen, One and two - a dozen, Monkey's cousin (rhymes with "a dozen")
13 Unlucky for some, Devil's number, Bakers dozen
14 Valentines day
15 Rugby team, Young and keen
16 Sweet sixteen / She's lovely / Never been kissed
17 Often been kissed / The age to catch 'em / Dancing Queen
18 Key of the door / Coming of age
19 Goodbye teens
20 Getting plenty / Blind 20
21 Key of the door
22 Two little ducks / All the twos
23 Thee and me / The Lord is my Shepherd
24 Two dozen
25 Duck and dive
26 Bed and breakfast / Half a crown / Pick and mix
27 Little duck with a crutch / Gateway to heaven
28 In a state / Over weight
29 You're doing fine
30 Burlington Bertie / Dirty Gertie / Speed limit / Flirty thirty / Blind 30
31 Get up and run
32 Buckle my Shoe
33 Dirty knees / All the threes / All the feathers / Two little fleas / Sherwood Forest
34 Ask for more
35 Jump and jive
36 Three dozen
37 A flea in heaven
38 Christmas cake
39 Those famous steps
40 Naughty Forty
41 Time for fun
42 That famous street in Manhattan / Whinny the Pooh
43 Down on your knees
44 Droopy drawers / All the fours
45 Halfway house / Halfway there
46 Up to tricks
47 Four and seven
48 Four dozen
49 PC (Police Constable) / Copper / Nick nick
50 Bulls eye / Blind 50 / Half a century
51 Tweak of the thumb
52 Weeks in a year / Danny La Rue
53 Stuck in the tree
54 Clean the floor
55 Snakes alive / All the fives
56 Was she worth it?
57 Heinz varieties
58 Make them wait / Choo choo Thomas
59 Brighton line
60 Three score / Blind 60 / Five dozen
61 Bakers bun
62 Tickety boo / Turn on the screw
63 Tickle me
64 Red raw / The Beatles number
65 Old age pension
66 Clickety click / All the sixes
67 Made in heaven / Argumentative number
68 Saving grace
69 The same both ways / your place or mine / Either way up / Meal for two
70 Three score and ten / Blind 70
71 Bang on the drum
72 A crutch and a duck / Six dozen / Par for the course
73 Crutch and a flea / Queen B
74 Candy store
75 Strive and strive
76 Trombones
77 Sunset strip / All the sevens / Two little crutches
78 Heavens gate
79 One more time
80 Gandhi's breakfast / Blind 80 / Eight and blank
81 Fat lady and a little wee / Stop and run
82 Fat lady with a duck / Straight on through
83 Fat lady with a flea / Time for tea / Ethel's Ear
84 Seven dozen
85 Staying alive
86 Between the sticks
87 Fat lady with a crutch / Torquay in Devon
88 Two fat ladies / All the eights / Wobbly wobbly
89 Nearly there / All but one
90 Top of the shop / Top of the house / Blind 90 / End of the line

Funny though Ducky didnt have you down as a GAME PLAYER....much. :LOL:

sinnerman":90xa6vwn said:
Ductape":90xa6vwn said:
sinnerman":90xa6vwn said:

Bingo....

I think Ductape's being constructive about trying to keep the forum free of random insults

And by 'Bingo' is agreeing that you'd nailed it with your previous quote?

I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me?

Amazing bingo list though I was disappointed that it finished at 90. you owe us the rest of the story and some better pics, Sinnerman!

Wow... so anyway nice bikes eh?

hydorah":8wm3qcoz said:
sinnerman":8wm3qcoz said:
Ductape":8wm3qcoz said:
sinnerman":8wm3qcoz said:

Bingo....

I think Ductape's being constructive about trying to keep the forum free of random insults

And by 'Bingo' is agreeing that you'd nailed it with your previous quote?

I could be wrong but that's how it looks to me?

Amazing bingo list though I was disappointed that it finished at 90. you owe us the rest of the story and some better pics, Sinnerman!

Wow... so anyway nice bikes eh?

Pmsl, i didnt necessarily think he was disagreeing, i just saw his response and saw the funny side, couldnt stop laughing, had to post the list as it reminded me of my granny......lol..lol.

And no i really dont think hes a game player, well hopefully not bingo anyway...lol.

can we get back to the bikes...

I took a look around, and I think this is a better picture, hope the blue does not offend anybody and sorry for the state of my yard!

This can be my Bike Of The Month entry please.

The story to go with this bike, if thats cool to put it here is............. and why its important to me to have this particular one.

Back in 1993 there was the Reebok Eliminator race, it was held on the same course as the Kamikaze race, but this was the week before. Jimmy Deaton won it again in 1993. Top speeds were around the 60mph marker, and all the bikes had wonderful but pointless chainrings, and other gizmos and gadgets that started the chain devices and suspension we all know and love now. In 93, the Reebok eliminator was won by Myles Rockwell, narrowly beating Jason McRoy. Mcroy was a hero of mine, being around 17 at the time, he was somebody to look up to, but Yeti was my choice of bike.

Rewind a little, I was at the bike show in late 92 I think, cyclex down in London, I got my first Yeti there, it took some con/begging/promise to my parents to lend me the money, but it was reduced and a fantastic price, so worth the effort! My job at the local Coop paid back for it within 12 months time. I still have that one now. Also at the bike show was Jason Mcroy, He and warner were doing signed posters, so I handed over my crispy £10, and got a signed Jason McRoy poster, I still have it in the tube like brand new. I should get it framed. He wrote, To Andrew, Go big, Take chances.

Fast Forward, Jason McRoy as you probably know was killed not long after. Very sad. I remember having a silence at the Plymouth World Cup not long after, everybody was really shocked. I really should visit the memorial.

Fast Forward more, to 2001, I set up yetifan website, and not long after I had an email off John Parker, he was humbled by my website celebrating his small bicycle company. We traded emails and I asked questions, many questions! I'm like a sponge for this stuff. Not long after this, he said he needed some help selling his unique Yeti collection, So over the next few months, one at a time, I promoted the bikes/frames on Yetifan, and emailed the press and stuff, and then he'd stick it on eBay. the first bike we sold was the Juli Furtado Worlds 1990 C-26. It went for something like $12500. All bikes can be seen on my site somewhere.

After 10 or so frames & bikes, I got a box arrive. Inside was a beat up, well used, very very cool old Yeti ASLT frame. A quick email to thank Parker, and he confirmed it was the Reebox Eliminator frame that had beaten one of my heros Jason McRoy. Parker is a very generous guy, and I am so happy to have spoken to him, I have yet to speak with anybody more interesting. A true character. It will be a shame if I cannot shake his hand someday, he alone has impacted my life so much.

Its taken the best part of 8 years to put it back like this, The chainring was from an Ex Yeti team rider, the forks are Manitou 3's with Manitou 2 decals, exactly like they ran at that race. Ask anybody who has built a race replica, and they will tell you its harder than the 'Brochure Perfect' bike, as the kit changed dramatically from weekend to weekend, so this bike its acurate to probably one hour of one race weekend, and even then they would swap parts as they broke (Elastomers used to melt in one run!). They used to throw away King Headsets every few races too! The Frame has the team only 2 position shock mount. The rear stay brace is all hand shaped and finished, this part alone took 18 months to get from Monkey (Gwins current wrench), the customer bikes had the cable stop welded on. The rims are 36h 261 Ceramics with flat aero spokes, and thanks to retrobike my 5 year rim search came to an end, and now the bike is pretty much finished. Even stuff like Myles & Jimmy ran XT brake levers, as the Graftons were too tiny for their big hands. I am hoping to reunite it with Myles very soon.

I hope you enjoyed the story of this bike. It seems a shame to not share such wonderful MTB history with you all, as you are obviously all very passionate in your own way about our heritage.

Thanks
Andrew

Attachments

• Rockwell2012sml.jpg
    Rockwell2012sml.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,131
Cool and fascinating history, thanks for sharing that

I can't stop looking at that chainring! It's like a ferris wheel... How many teeth are on that thing I wonder

Great stuff that machine is a feast for the eyes!

Absolute LEGEND.

Now thats the Daddy.

Andrew THANK YOU.

That was the best Contribution to this site, since i Joined RetroBIKE.

I remember seeing the coverage in mbuk when I was a snotty nosed 12/13 year old and being amazed at the bikes.
I remember them showing photos of all the "dinner plate" chainrings from all the various riders machines missy's,jt's and jmc's gt rts-1 he rode.

Does anyone know where that bike is it would be good to see it again.

Now that is an absolute stunner Andrew. The rock was a legend.
Looks like you dragged that bike out of a time machine. Good effort :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back