Thinking of changing my rims ?

I have a set of silver open sports, and they're not bad. braking is good, as they have a machined surface. but to be honest, if the only thing 'wrong' with your rims is the lack of anodising on the sides due to braking, then I'd keep using them until they really do need replacing!

foz":1dyshddz said:
, if the only thing 'wrong' with your rims is the lack of anodising on the sides due to braking, then I'd keep using them until they really do need replacing!
Thanks for the in-put.

Whilst out riding on my bike i've noticed when i brake my braking is mint - then nothing - mint - then nothing - mint - then nothing :?

I reckon its down to the wear on the rims and looking closely there are several wear/worn grooves which go thick then thin so i reckon
they could need changing for safety/better braking.

Ian.

if braking is hit and miss and you ride the bike like it should be ridden, then it's probably a good idea to change the rims. I'm not sure if mavic still make rims in CD, like the ones you have (maybe the open pro?), but I think the open sports look nicer and fit an older bike better in silver - black rims weren't really available BITD, and the machined sidewalls stand out a lot in the black version. You could look at ambrosio rims too, I'm not sure how they compare on price though.

Andy

Andy i reckon i'm going to go for the silver Mavic sport rims as Ambrosio rims sell for treble compared to the Mavic jobs.

Ian.

check the ERD of your old rims, and that of the new rims you're thinking of getting before you actually buy them. While it's always a good idea to actually measure it yourself, you can usually find the dimensions documented somewhere. Add all the costs up too - it might actually be cheaper overall to buy more expensive rims that let you reuse your old spokes, than to get cheaper rims that will need new spokes.

The ERD is External Rim Dimension right ?

I'm shitting my pants now as i've purchased the rims already :roll:
I'll measure my rim 'now' and ask the supplier to measure the rims i have purchased.

The Mavic Sport rims look very similar to my Mavic open 4CD but you can never tell can you :oops:

Ian

Ian, don't just go by the look of a rim, as even though two rims have the same outside dimensions, the erd might not be the same! The tech sheet I have for the open sport says ERD is 606mm. From what google tells me, the ERD of the open 4CD (not to be confused with the more modern open pro!) is 608mm. Depending on 32 or 36 hole and lacing pattern, your current spokes might well work. The biggest danger might be screwing the nipples as far as they will go onto the spokes, bottoming out on the end of the threads before you get enough tension. if spokes are a little too long then on a clincher rim with a decent rim tape there's little chance of problems due to the end of the spokes sticking out of the nipples.

use the spocalc and DT swiss online calculators to check what actual spoke lengths would be required for the two different rims (if you don't know how they work or need any help then just post the numbers here and I can do it for you). That should tell you the difference in spoke length required between your current rims and the new ones. But then it would also be useful to unlace your wheels and check the actual lengths of the spokes that they're built with!

If you find you need more spokes of another length then let me know - I have lots of used spokes in decent condition and of various lengths so might well be able to fix you up with something suitable.

Andy

Thanks for the help Andy ;)

Are these details of my current wheel set any good ?

Rims are 32 hole.
Original rims :- Mavic open 4CD.
Shimano Dura Ace 7400 small flange hubs, front/rear.
Front wheel spoke length :-297mm.
Rear wheel spoke length :- 295mm.
Standard lacing pattern.

Spokes have been measured taken out of the wheel and measured from end of threads to centre of the kink/nipple.

New rims :-
Mavic open Sport
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 870wt_1037

Cheers.
Ian [gulp :oops: :roll: ]

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back