Carrera Asics Team(Volans), Columbus EL

fritzlite

Senior Retro Guru
wow, just finished this beauty for my nephew and, maaan this was one of the hardest builds ive ever done.. but worth my effort!
Got the frame, NOS, from a nice policeman, had it in storage for 10+ years
was promised a ultegra chainset, octa bb, and headset in the deal.
My brother-inlaw picked up the package deal, as he lives close by.. when arriving to me, the bb was missing, and the headset was 1 1/8 threaded.!
Second time round, the bb delived was a modern bb ala gxp!..couldnt be more wrong...and an uncomplete headset.
arraaag...and to top that, be frame use a very special seatpost bolt, witch i have looked everywhere for, online, and in 10+ bikeshops..
finally mailed carrera, after good advice on this board... and they had them, and would deliver to a contact in herning, jutland, (im in copenhagen), who had some carrera bikes being deliverd to him.
lets just say, im still waiting for this, +2 months.
waiting for this, i bought a simillar full bike, in my nb-hood as it popped up, just to get the bolt and get the project done..and my nephew on the road!
when the bolt finally gets here, gonna finish the other bike and sell it..its a 52 cm, so cant use it, sadly...
The doner bike also had the orange Coda seat, the black selcof seatp, the Orange Coda/mavic wheelset, dura ace headset, and the 8 speed 600 sti`s, and ITM stem and bars.
so its a mixed bag, but really happy with the result..i was gonna build it in Bartoli mode,..(see pic), as a more discret race bike, but was overruled by my brother-inlaw and nephews taste for bling!
Its been fighting me all the way, but finally done!

Attachments

• Carrera finish 12-05-018.JPG
    Carrera finish 12-05-018.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 4,793
  • Carrera finish 12-05-017.JPG
    Carrera finish 12-05-017.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 4,793
  • Carrera finish 12-05-016.JPG
    Carrera finish 12-05-016.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,793
  • Carrera finish 12-05-015.JPG
    Carrera finish 12-05-015.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 4,793
  • Carrera finish 12-05-014.JPG
    Carrera finish 12-05-014.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 4,794
  • Carrera finish 12-05-012.JPG
    Carrera finish 12-05-012.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 4,796
  • carrera bartoli.jpg
    carrera bartoli.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4,794
very nice - are the wheels factory built?
are they Open pro rims in orange??
Re: the deal - this proves you should never trust a policeman

cant really say if they are factory build, but my guess is that they are not.
they came from the Doner bike, bought from a nice canadian Btw, going back to toronto, and having 2 bikes there already, had to sell the Carrera here in Copenhagen.
(got the original receipt from 99` on the doner bike, 18492 dkr, aprox 2k £ in todays money, with full dura ace, and Rolf vector pro wheels )
the Rims are open pro, ...havent really seen them in that colour before.
the policeman either didnt know his stuff, or didnt care..i gave up on him, the second time round, and got a NOS octa bb.

update and conclusion:

i got a lead to a carrera-dealer in the us, rose-import, i think.. kind gent, who promised to send one to me, as soon as he got some from carrera in italy..
(i had already tried carrera, but they would only send to the danish agent, and he wasent interested in helping, after he sent me 5 wrong bolts, that carrera sent him..not any profit in it for him(?))

i waited nearly six months, (was determined to see this through..), for a reply or bolt from the us-dealer, wrote him twice to see whatsup, used the parts for another project... the doner-frame was only 52 cm, to small for me..then finally broke down, and sold the frame cheap, with remarks to the difficult bolt... the guy who bought it was gonna drill one...

the bolts from stems, with the same idea, where either to big, long or other difference
so these bolts are hard to come by..

Sweet ride. Must be very nice to ride with the EL tubing?! The saddle and tires are a bit over the top for me though. Black would be better IMHO.

Back