ONCE Giant TCR - contains modern content.

HavelockEllis

Retro Guru
I have had a couple projects on the boil, both of which I later gave up on, sold on and found myself left with a few half decent spares. After hunting around for a couple of months for something to stick them on, I found a deadstock C.2002 Giant TCR ONCE frame and forks; still in the box, with all the necessary bits and an new 1" FSA headset fitted.
I got it in the end for around £220; at the time, and being something of an ONCE fan, I remember the frame and forks retailing for about £700, later reduced to about £500, depending on size...I think they were one of the cheapest pro team rides you could get at the time - ideally, and funds permitting, I would have built it up with a nice 9 speed Campag Record groupset. But funds weren't permitting, so I settled on what was in the spares box, deals off here and some bargain bin finds on ebay -

P1290029.jpg

Bit of a hotchpotch, but it does have a nice Look titanium ahead stem that I must have had for ten years now.
P1290031.jpg
Suntour GPX calipers, Jagwire cables, stops and outers...tasteful use of anodising. Ahem.
P1290036.jpg
Nice touch - the little embossed ONCE man on the headtube.

Off the top of my head; FSA integrated headset, Stronglight BB (same weight as the Dura Ace one, but seems to last a lot longer), Ultegra cranks, Microshift Arsis shifters and rear mech, Ultegra front mech, YBAN ti chain, Flite saddle cheapo Selcof seatpin (Ti replacement pending), Look Ti stem, ITM Europa bars, Wellgo Ti spindle pedals, Novatec hubs/Sapim Spokes/Ambrosio Excellight rims, all fasteners, washers, pulleys etc. replaced with Ti or SRP - all cables either Jagwire or Clim8. And Fred Salmon bar plugs.

Total weight - just a nudge over 18lbs and total cost, around £750ish.

It may not be retro but, I think Giant were the first of the big boys to go down the compact frame route.

Very nice, some good touches on there like ano parts. Just frustrating me seeing these and having not progressed with mine at all for weeks now :roll:

Kind words folks, appreciated. I would recommend the TCR to anyone - if you've got one pending, get round to completing it as they are a joy to ride. A little harsh, as all aluminium frames seem to feel, but absolutely stiff as a board. They seemed so modern and 'out there' when they first came on the market but in an age of identikit moulded carbon frames, I suppose they are almost a bit quaint now....bags of character though. Je suis avec Jalabert, as they used to say.

i had one in grey it used to fly;ashamed to admit it
but it used to get loads of looks and talked about out side the cafe :D
it was very slow going up hills :( :D

Back