Gitane Low Profile Bike, Circa 1990

tokoloshe":1lodbdr4 said:
Now, that's a cool bike. I particularly like how the brake levers are positioned. Clever. :cool:

Brake levers are in a weird position as the handlebars are actually drilled for internal routing yet its not used. They work dreadfully though, I can see why the Z Peugeot guys were so fast if they were using these brakes as they would have more success stopping by putting a foot down or using their tongue!

I appreciate they are single pivot and so on but you can see the brake assembly flexing badly the minute you put pressure on the levers.

Anyway, still a nice bike and I can't really be rid of it for the reasons above.

If I changed the brakes I would keep the originals just because.

Cheers for the comments :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bowser":3dtkpqu6 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gitane-Time-Trial-funny-bike-1990-/120610128217?
this was sold recently on e bay usa not as original as yours
posted on gitane usa website

Cheers for the link, frame very similar in shape but that appears to be in columbus tubing and the bits are different - would hazard that may be a slightly later bike - not sure.

Very nice tho and I have a pic of it for reference. Like the paint on it too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Here is a more up to date picture of the bike as it was a few weeks ago.

During the last 'People's Grand Tour' (more info here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 73#1462973 ) I used this a few times to *ahem* 'time trial' (which in my case means bike fast and not expire). I was still very aware that the brakes are dreadful and have decided to retire them to a box and get something a little better. I also found a nice ITM stem that hasn't got missing paint etc so I have today started working on it again. Should be a couple of weeks and will get the thing a little smartened up in the process.

Attachments

• 080412-2.jpg
    080412-2.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 1,181

Latest posts

Back