Early 90's Pinarello Restoration

Jcosh

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I am nearing completion of my early 90's Pina restoration and wondered if there may be some advise out there on a few things that I need to find in order to complete the project?

The bike has been owned by me since around 1995/96 and I think it was a few years old when I got it. It has a mixture of Record and Chorus 8 speed early Ergo. I am still after the following bits and wondered if anybody can please advise what the most suitable bits are and where I might be best to buy them:

8 speed chain - can a Campag one be bought or is an after market one the only option, if so which one works best?
Possible replacement chain rings. If I can't get originals what are the best for a period look?
8 speed cassette?
Headset, I have the original C Record one that has some pitting on the bearing surfaces and cosmetic marks on the square external edges, will I find better?
Saddle, what would look right on this age bike?
Tyres, again what would suit the look of an early 90's bike?

I'm sure some of these questions will seem obvious to the experts out there, but I'm not one of those and am just trying to get it looking as original as possible.

Hope you can help.

Some pics attached from the painter who is just waiting for a replacement decal and then it will be lacquered.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Pina Painted1.jpg
    Pina Painted1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Pina Painted2.jpg
    Pina Painted2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,358
Very nice frame. Some comments/ideas on your questions. Just ideas and opinions, mind:

>>8 speed chain - can a Campag one be bought or is an after market one the only option, if so which one works best?

There was a Campag Record in the mid 90s, but for the period of this frame, I think they recommended the Rohloff (http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=29). I used them with the early 8 speed Campag index set up, and didn't like them. I went back to Sedis. The current SRAM 8 speed chains are the evolution of the Sedis, and can be had for a good price at many popular retailers (e.g. Chainreaction). They look the part and work well.

>>Possible replacement chain rings. If I can't get originals what are the best for a period look?
8 speed cassette?

The 8 speed rings (without the funny pips and ramps) still come up sometimes on here, lfgss and ebay. Stronglight do good replacements that look OK on the whole. They come up pretty often on ebay. 8 speed cassettes come up pretty frequently, and quite often NOS. Expect to pay about £25 for a good one.

>>Headset, I have the original C Record one that has some pitting on the bearing surfaces and cosmetic marks on the square external edges, will I find better?

If you find one in good condition, you will probably have to pay an arm and a leg for C Record.

>>Saddle, what would look right on this age bike?

Rolls, Turbo, Flite were all common. Others as well. ... All still knocking around. Indurain used a Turbo saddle on his Pinarello, but I think it was already looking a bit old fashioned...

>>Tyres, again what would suit the look of an early 90's bike?

That's just around the time that dual compound and funny colour sidewalls were coming in, IIRC. Early 90s would be gumwall --- Vittoria Open Corsa can still be had in gumwall. My favourites were Michelin HiLite, but you'll struggle to find them in good condition now. Veloflex?

Hope this helps a bit. VeloBase is a good resource if you want to look up the age of different components like saddles. Also pics from races of the time (e.g. Indurain, Rominger, Chiapucci, Bugno)

nammonk":1ofnulua said:
Very nice frame. Some comments/ideas on your questions. Just ideas and opinions, mind:

>>8 speed chain - can a Campag one be bought or is an after market one the only option, if so which one works best?

There was a Campag Record in the mid 90s, but for the period of this frame, I think they recommended the Rohloff (http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=29). I used them with the early 8 speed Campag index set up, and didn't like them. I went back to Sedis. The current SRAM 8 speed chains are the evolution of the Sedis, and can be had for a good price at many popular retailers (e.g. Chainreaction). They look the part and work well.

>>Headset, I have the original C Record one that has some pitting on the bearing surfaces and cosmetic marks on the square external edges, will I find better?

If you find one in good condition, you will probably have to pay an arm and a leg for C Record.

I'm not entirely happy with the lifespan of SRAM chains since production was moved away from France, although the indexing is fine - for durability, the QC seems to have dropped off on the whole.

Edit: Wippermann Connex 808 every time for me, not cheap but I love these chains!

If you're struggling to find a Campag headset, the Stronglight A9 and Miche Primato threaded headsets from this era are still in production and have barely changed (the A9 bottom cup design has been tweaked and has better water resistance these days). Both use cylindrical needle rollers and are very smooth, though the A9 shades it on robustness and ease of installation.

David

I have a barely used Record 53T chainring, yours for £14 posted. It's done 100 miles tops.

Try www.campyoldy.com for other bits and pieces - I think he has headsets, although more modern Record ones are still around new (Ribble etc) and look the part.

Jcosh":xoscs0tp said:
8 speed cassette?

I don't know if an old warehouse of Campag 8spd Record cassettes was found a few years ago, but they seem to be in abundance right now, and as others have said, they're easy to find and actually quite cheap:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... HsQ8wIwBQ#

I think I got one off eBay a couple of years ago, possibly High on Bikes.

It's a shame 8spd rear derailleurs aren't quite as abundant ;)

1988_Ben":19v181tr said:
Jcosh":19v181tr said:
8 speed cassette?

I don't know if an old warehouse of Campag 8spd Record cassettes was found a few years ago, but they seem to be in abundance right now, and as others have said, they're easy to find and actually quite cheap:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... HsQ8wIwBQ#

I think I got one off eBay a couple of years ago, possibly High on Bikes.

It's a shame 8spd rear derailleurs aren't quite as abundant ;)

I have heard that the cassettes are still manufactured, just squirrelled away in the Campag spare parts lists somewhere instead of a proper mention in the catalogue. If you're struggling to find the real deal, BBB and Miche also manufacture compatible 8-speed cassettes.

David

>> Edit: Wippermann Connex 808 every time for me, not cheap but I love these chains!

Ooh yes, forgot about those. Never tried one, but they certainly look nice (quite similar to the old Rohloff). Must try one next time I change.

Nick

nammonk":q5z4zidb said:
>> Edit: Wippermann Connex 808 every time for me, not cheap but I love these chains!

Ooh yes, forgot about those. Never tried one, but they certainly look nice (quite similar to the old Rohloff). Must try one next time I change.

Nick

Worth the extra few quid, certainly. I've given up on SRAM having had both 9- and 8-speed examples come close to snapping on me (there were fractures at the non-Powerlink links; the Powerlink itself is actually a really sound product that's never let me down). Union/Marwi are also good chains if you're on a budget (connecting links are very simple so best substitute a Connex or SRAM one) but UK stockists are few and far between.

David

Thank you everybody for the replies suggestions. This is what I've concluded, all subject to change if further suggestions / advise is received:

Wipperman / Connex chain seems to be the way the to go, so I'll try one of those. I assume that the 8sX is just a slightly better version of he 808?

Still wondering about chainrings. Maybe TA rings are worth a closer look? They look quite similar to the design of the originals?

Will go for a new cassette as suggested.

I've taken the original headset to my finishing people to see if they can clean up the external surfaces to make it look a bit tidier. The pitting inside is not that bad actually and may be ok to reinstall.

I've found a pretty good Flight Titanium saddle from one of my old mountain bikes which should look ok until I discover something more suitable.

Tyres, seems like there is plenty of choice. So will decide once the build is nearing completion.

I'll be back once I've got the frame back from the painters and the assembly is underway.

Thanks again.

hamster":2xflfyo1 said:
I have a barely used Record 53T chainring, yours for £14 posted. It's done 100 miles tops.

Try www.campyoldy.com for other bits and pieces - I think he has headsets, although more modern Record ones are still around new (Ribble etc) and look the part.

Thanks you for the offer. However, I think it may be just a tad to big for me. The originals are 52/42 and I'm wondering if a may go down in size a tad with the new chainrings as I've got used to riding a compact on my modern road bike.

Thanks for the offer.

Back