gears slipping in high gears

Just line the 0 end of the ruler up with the centre of a link pin. The 12 inch mark should align with the centre of a another link pin. If it doesn't the chain is stretched

I'm not sure how the ruler method helps. Chains don't stretch. What happens is the rollers get worn making the gap between them larger. Best get yourself the correct chain wear measuring tool.

Wearing it out in 600 miles is difficult but one chap locally did just that in fact the chain was worn within 375 miles. He though WD40 was a chain lub though.

Using a vernier caliper between the rollers would be a better idea than a ruller. In fact campag specifiy for there chain that they should be changed when the distance between the two outermost roller of 6 outers plate in a line exceeds 132.6mm.

wynne":228w7r5a said:
I'm not sure how the ruler method helps. Chains don't stretch. What happens is the rollers get worn making the gap between them larger. Best get yourself the correct chain wear measuring tool.

Ahh that old egg.

Yes they elongate due to the above mentioned condition.

We use a park c22 chain wear checker and i have never thought of why it actually works!
Thanks for pointing that out.

wynne":3ek6p052 said:

Not true, they do also stretch. The OP doesn't appear to have a chain wear gauge so I suggested using the ruler method as rough check.

Agree that the best thing to do would be to get hold of a proper gauge, I use mine all the time.

cyfa2809":p4b1pa0f said:
How do they stretch?

Erm difficult to answer this without sounding sarcastic, but they stretch due to the force you put through the pedals.

This force causes the steel plates on the chain to elongate over time. the effect is more pronounced as the load increases, hence why single speed chains use thicker steel than geared chains.

Hmm i see but wont this be rather minimal?

Or actually wouldnt the plates be made to stay within their elastic limit under the average load (and beyond) of forces acting on the chain and thus would have been twsted and reasearched before production??

Back