'94 Kona Hei Hei

Anthony":2b72c6rt said:
I can't tell any difference between the head tube spirals for 94 and 95

Actually I think there is a difference:

After looking over the different pictures I gathered over the last Days and looking into the 95 Catalouge there seems to be a difference which isn't obvious on the first observation.
The 95 Spiral has the word Kona in orange underneath while the 94 Spiral has Kona written in Silver underneath. Also the second colour in the spiral seems to be gold instead of silver.
At least all models with Kona written in gold on the downtube (as the 95 Hei Hei and King Kahuna) had the different spiral.
The only ramaining question seems to be if there where Hei Heis with the silver/orange decals in 95...

Cheers Dan

You may be right actually. If you look at the picture below, you would say that there is no difference, but in 1995 some Konas had silver/grey decals like this Kilauea, and some had yellow decals, like the Hei Hei. I think it may well be that the models with yellow decals had a different spiral, with yellow replacing silver/grey.

Attachments

• 1994 and 95 Kona Spirals.JPG
    1994 and 95 Kona Spirals.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,142
And here's a pic of the spiral (+controls) on my Hei Hei:

kona8cdo3u.jpg

Considering the 95 Decals, are those all yellow and silver or was there a gold version too? On many pictures the decals look as if they are gold!

Cheers Dan

As I thought, some of the '95 Kona decals are Orange and Gold, as you can see in this thread.

7152523163_58eea4cbb65yuig.jpg

by Plus one2010

The '95 Hei Heis should also be fitted with a orange and gold spiral, as in the catalouge.

Closest guess is that my frame is a '94 then.

Still very happy with it, the ride would be the same anyway with '94-'96 frames.

Greets
Dan

If you ever wondered why they invented brakeboosters in the first place...
Try to squeezze a long arm cantilever on a Ti Frame with modest seatstay diameter.

The solution looks... well UGLY:

interloc1t4cl7.jpg

but it works tremendously well. IRD brake arms with some WTB and Machine Tech hardware, boosted by IRD Tubular Cantilever Bridge

Form follows function in this case I'm afraid... :shock:

Greets Dan

kona5t4qdk.jpg

Happy to see that you use a canti hanger. I hate to see V brake on such frames.

Enjoy your HeiHei !
:LOL:

24pouces":3fd30wrg said:
Happy to see that you use a canti hanger. I hate to see V brake on such frames.

Enjoy your HeiHei !
:LOL:

Thank's mate doing that a lot!

The canti hanger actually made me want that frame (besides other reasons), because I wanted to keep the IRDs in use. The IRDs where organized (given to me) because of the mojo "hand job" they where used with first... ;)
Actually this build is quite "Frankenbike", Loads of Retro in the Back and '97 onwards in the front. But as long as it's good for ridin' I'am fine with it.

Greetz Dan

Nice Hei hei you have and it is good that you have some cantis out the back :D

Vs are okay on a Hei Hei but you really do have to use a booster on the rear as the flex is pretty bad!

Neil G":1lcp3gc1 said:
Nice Hei hei you have and it is good that you have some cantis out the back :D

Vs are okay on a Hei Hei but you really do have to use a booster on the rear as the flex is pretty bad!

Thanks's mate! I like the IRDs and will keep them as long as they work (so probably forever...).

The flex is definitely a problem if you don't use a booster. It might be OK if the rider is of Thomas Frischknecht's size, but a Super Clydesdale like me needs some serious stopping power!

Cheers Dan

Back