It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread!

Rich34":gounpzim said:
retro-rich":gounpzim said:
I love these old galaxy's, old tourers seem to be my soft spot

Too right! In honour of the lovely old (and some less old) Galaxies everyone has added to what was initially just a modest bargain refurbishment, I've re-titled the thread - long overdue. :cool:

Good title change lol, might try to start a similar one for my Randonneur when it's finally built. Those pics of mine are not a galaxy, but a galaxy-alike Panorama, sorry to pollute the thread :)

My first ever rebuild was a galaxy, five quid from a car boot sale, bargain. I modernised it with trekking bars which seems like sacrilege but it was a wonderfull ride, my introduction to real steel bikes. Plus the fact these were made in brum adds a bit of local interest.

...and a rusty chain stay bridge...

Like this? Here's mine as bought with custom paint by the previous owner, a bit of scraping shows it was originally green. The chainstay bridge is rolled from flat plate and has a hole through so maybe not surprising that it's a rust trap.

Attachments

• Dawes Galaxy IMG_1688.jpg
    Dawes Galaxy IMG_1688.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 1,130
  • Dawes Galaxy IMG_1661.jpg
    Dawes Galaxy IMG_1661.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 1,130
William - that could clean up really nicely. What sort of seat post is that?

Judging by the state of the chainrings there's a lot of surface crap on there, maybe the corrosion is just surface rust? I like the colour scheme even if it's not that well-done. The expression "custom paint by previous owner" always makes you wonder why some people don't just stick to their day-jobs...

The seat post is labelled "Push", made by K alloy I think. I'm not sure I like it to be honest, I've got a Laprade I might fit instead. More photos here: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/27344909@N02/sets/72157627799185449/> if anyone's interested. Since these were taken I've completely dismantled the bike and wire brushed the rusty area round the bb and bridge. It is pitted but I think it is structurally sound. I've rather got the brazing bug though and I might replace the bridge anyway. I plan to add some bottle cage bosses and maybe brake pivots for the centrepulls if I get sufficiently confident.

Cheers - I think ithe seatpost looks alright except for the modern logo. Nice Flickr gallery, some good shots there. Look forward to seeing the bike once it's all back together.

Cool Thread :cool:

The Dawes Galaxy was the first bike I ever lusted after, i remember staring at one for ages in a shop in my teens. Then i owned one, a 1977 edition, all brown metallic and chrome. Toured it when I could and memorably road it over the Hartside Pass over the Penines with a frighteningly fast descent to Alston. Later I sold it and to this day I dont know why :?

Dawes Galaxy, the benchmark against which all tourers should be measured :D

Re: It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread

Sorry to hi-jack this thread. Searched for 27 x1/8 tyres and this thread appeared.

Having issues trying to find these tyres, plenty of 27x 1/4. Trouble is those size tyres will kill me when I'm up against the alloy and carbon guys in the summer.

I can go with the Continentals but don't look very retro. However, have found SJS Cycles of Bridgwater stock Panracer 27 x 1/8 if anyone is interested. Not cheap at £34.00 or so a hoop!

So what do I fit to my Carlton Corsair? Think it might have to be the Conti's unless someone has some slick 27 x 1/8 lurking in a shed.........I think not.

Re: It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread

Panaracer Pasellas are 27-1/4 but I find them comparatively thinner than the World tours I normally use.

Back