The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

They look like Westminsters or that series -

Just checked, no, but great picture!

Tannoy_setup.jpg

How to sell car speakers for £££££'s!!!

Put them in a posh box, spout nonsense and pseudo-science. Job done!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resolution-SU ... 302wt_1110

So, no-one has ever produced point source multiway louspeakers before then? Not even Lowther? Tannoy? Kef? and many etc's!

You can even have an active crossover - with a fancy name. Sure, no-one has done that before! Ever!!

They even make a big deal about a crossover that actually matches the sensitivities of the drivers!! Wow! Who'd have thought of that? Err, probably every other loudspeaker manufacturer!

There's even a link to a website which kind of infers its independent, but smacks awfully of one run by the manufacturer of said speakers.

Jeez, why do I never have these ideas?!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Well, they are at least world-beating in ugliness. No doubt cheap tat from China. You see loads of things like this in the importers' pavilions at CES and IFA trade fairs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resolution-SUHTL-X-Loudspeakers-Mahogany-/230788339593?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35bc0e9789&clk_rvr_id=341289618801#ht_2282wt_1163

er, these are just 6x9's bunged in a fancy box???

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I refer the gentleman to the post I made on Wed May 09, 2012 6:21 pm :LOL:

Got anything 'interesting' in your collection at the mo? I'm collecting the bits to build a no-holds-barred vinyl spinner at the mo. There's no magic about it - it's all about accurate, sensible engineering. Though some nutters would have you believe you cant have a quality audio component without 'special' oil, 'special' electricity, special stuff you (and science) have never heard of, and a liberal dollop of 'special' help from the tooth fairy!

I like to think of the audiophiles who think this matters as 'special' themselves.
:LOL:

I've been pondering selling the SL-1400MKII that I have but as I have an almost matching amp (SU-V6), I was conemplating something silly for myself.

Going back to car speaker hifi, I do have some Magnat hifi speakers which are standmounts that come in at about 10kg each with very nice drive units alla Yamaha NS1000 style. Cant find out a think on the web.

A friend is selling his Wharfedale E50s...?

Does the SL1400 (there's one on eBay at the mo I seem to recall) share any history with the 1210? - which seems to have become a bit of an audiophile darling oddly enough, after being totally ignored years ago by the cognoscenti due to being direct drive and japanese. Now I see 1210s with SME 3009s and all sorts of exotic arms bodged onto them! Nowt as queer as folk.

I'm tending towards fully home-built for my next system (apart from speakers - don't know much about them). As I say, I have half formed plans in my head for a turntable, with RIAA preamp at the arm base - minimal capacitance from the arm leads means I can control to an exact degree the cartridge loading without using £200 phono leads constructed from 'special' fairy dust - through to passive pre-amp (otherwise known as a stepped attenuator in a box) to active crossovers and either Linsley Hood or John Curl based Class A amps per drive unit as close to the drive units as possible (to maintain super-low resistance from output trannys to speaker drive units thus maintaing high damping factor and speedy accurate bass)

As for speakers - hmmm, thats a tough one. I sold my AE2s on here, but really quite fancy some Mission 770s as I remember loving them BITD.

Like I say - nothing magic, just sensible engineering. Then maybe I can sell my creations for ££££££'s and retire to Sandbanks!

;)

Back