It was Rich34's '76 Galaxy - now The Dawes Galaxy thread!

Great thanks. I thought it was a galaxy from the pictures I searched for on the web but I wasn't certain. Thanks for the decal information, for now I am going to keep it with nothing on, but I will try and track down a badge through ebay.

If I ever decide to have it resprayed I will definitely get some decals sorted.

Need to get our riding on it as I have only been out once so far.

A few additions and replacements - a Brooks B17 has replaced the original saddle, which was tatty. I've put the original ESGE mudguards back on as they suit the look of the bike.

esge.jpg

I've also replaced the Stronglight chainset with a TA triple chainset I found on a French site:

ta.jpg

Quite pleased with this, it fits very nicely and suits the bike. I haven't had time to adjust the gears (or chain... :shock: ) yet, but will get that sorted. I also found an old Carradice saddlebag on eBay:

Carradice.jpg

I was going to buy a new one but liked the look of an old worn one when I saw it. It needed a clean and will appreciate some leather restorer on the straps, but otherwise is in good nick. Just need a support for it to keep it off the brakes. I also have some black leather Dawes bar-tape to go on, to match the saddle, and might replace the seatpost with one that doesn't have a separate clamp.

Hello again, a quick update on my own Dawes, save me opening a new thread.

I have replaced a few bits now. Including a new Suntour Cyclone front mech to match the rear, a new Brooks B17 saddle, a Carradice roll saddle bag, a new Gipiemme chain set (52/42), a new bottom bracket (not sure what make), got the wheels made up from the original Normandy hubs and some 27" rims I found cheap on Ebay, new Regina freewheel (14-1:cool:, and some new Panaracer tyres.

All starting to get there. Next step is to get the frame resprayed, saving up some cash to get that done after the summer.

Just got the mudguards on there temporarily as the weather has been so wet of late!

6998891168_3013a9c55e_b.jpg

7144977465_a98c9a4210_b.jpg

6998892378_6247f29392_b.jpg

7144979029_a5a6310fb3_b.jpg

Now this is nice, a lot of the sort of components and extras I like on a bike. Lovely stuff.

Looking good there Larusso - how do you find those mudguards? Personally I think full length mudguards really suit the Galaxy, and I have vivid memories of having one of those "sports" front mudguards when I was younger - kept some crap out of the fork steerer tube and off the headset but none whatsoever off of me...

The Brooks kit really suits the bike.

Rich34":1yhr6xqf said:
Looking good there Larusso - how do you find those mudguards? Personally I think full length mudguards really suit the Galaxy, and I have vivid memories of having one of those "sports" front mudguards when I was younger - kept some crap out of the fork steerer tube and off the headset but none whatsoever off of me...

The Brooks kit really suits the bike.

The short mudguards are useless for stopping the water etc. I had them on the front and back but I decided to put on a proper mudguard due to all this weather! In fact both the brackets for the short mudguards have snapped on one side so I am going to take the front one off too.

I really like the look of the ESGE mudguards. These are the ones that came with the bike. Unfortunately both the front and the back have been snapped half way down, gutted. I really want a full good quality set like yours. Have been hunting Ebay but not found any yet.

Hopefully summer will come along soon and I can ditch the mudguards altogether.

The ESGE mudguards on mine look better in the photos than they do close-up... What would be really nice is some shiny metal ones but I'm having difficulty finding any for 27" wheels. I'll keep looking though - I've just got a 1975 Alex Singer with 650B wheels, it came with mudguards that will polish up really well. Be nice to have similarly clean ones on the Galaxy.

Goldie":337on509 said:
Piperdave":337on509 said:
Some nice bikes and pics, but I have to say that the a head stems just look wrong on old steel bike IMHO, sorry. :?

No apology needed!I didn't like the one on my Galaxy either, although I failed dismally to pick up a quill stem for it. I think the world's still waiting for an attractive ahead style stem to be designed...

This was about the best I could find for my modern build (not a galaxy though) velo orange, not too sure about the open clamp but I think might look ok on an old bike, or would it look too chunky?

abd5ddec.jpg

4b3bdbde.jpg

I love these old galaxy's, old tourers seem to be my soft spot, if my eBay watch list is anything to go by lol

I have an old galaxy frame in the corner of the shed with a damaged bb thread and a rusty chain stay bridge, must get round to getting it to the frame builder for a check over

retro-rich":1vkmyd7t said:
I love these old galaxy's, old tourers seem to be my soft spot

Too right! In honour of the lovely old (and some less old) Galaxies everyone has added to what was initially just a modest bargain refurbishment, I've re-titled the thread - long overdue. :cool:

Back