Xizang project

Bear-Chan

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ello...
i thought you guys might like to see my project im starting and possibly give some feedback about direction...
the frame is a 95 or 6 (i think!) ive had from new, but shes been stored for the past couple of years or so.
in her original form she was kitted out with a mix of XT, XTR and syncros/control tech stuff (some of which i still have).

im now aiming to carry on my ebay hunting and kit her out with some of the more exotic stuff i could never afford when i was wee! im afraid i am aiming to run her as a single speed tho!
the forks are what i have available at the moment - if any one has any suggestions for either bouncy or rigid ones that would suit better that would be great. i originally wanted to go rigid but cant really find anything i like!
suspension-wise, ive always had a soft spot for AMP's but wasnt sure if they'd match up well with the frame?
i was also a bit gutted to miss a pair of FSX judys on ebay the other day!

sorry to ramble, but one last thing, i was wondering if anyone had any tips for restoring the polish of the ti?
ill update with pics as things progress... hope you enjoy!
mike

PS - please excuse the seatpost! :D:D
xizang.jpg

That is my dream frame .

when the kids move out , that is what I will buy .

only 20 years to wait . :cry:

Bear-Chan, that is one beautiful frame.

I use Scotchbrite on my Hei hei when she's looking a bit tired.

Am I the only one who thinks that a gorgeous frame like that shouldn't be let down by single speeding?

That was my dream GT frame too...so, so sweet...

not too sure where you could go direction wise, singlespeed could be fun, but I'd make it into a 24 speed bike, with XTR goodies from the bay...

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Rich

hi guys
thanks a lot for your comments! :D
i couldnt belive it when i was given the chance to own this frame originally. it was my dream at the time as well!

my 2 big decisions are forks and wheels. i have the original wheels on another bike at the moment (pace carbon front hub, XT rear on 217's) which i could use if i bought some nice new mavic wheels or something for the other bike. i was hoping to get something a bit more exotic but after weeks of scowering ebay, nothing has come up :(:( id love a set of nuke proofs, ringles, old hopes or something!
i did consider some of them SPOX things but i fear they may be too modern? (id never heard of them til i saw a klein on here with em on!)

other bits wise, theres a cook crankset which should arrive in august some time, the original flat control tech bars, silver syncros seatpost (looks a bit tatty tho), xtr V's and either a pace or syncros stem (if i can get one of them silly slanty top caps for the syncros!). im on the hunt for some swanky brake levers too.
i really hope i can do the frame proper justice this time round as i was always slightly limited before by money. hoorah for ebay!

im afriad ive definitely got my heart set on singlespeed tho!
have a top friday!

M

PS - thanks for the scotchbrite tip!! :D

cchris2lou,
If Bear-Chan doesn't want your syncros top cap for his rebuild I would be really interested. I have a big water collecting gap on my syncros stem at the moment and I can't find anything that will fit the slanted gap :(

Bear Chan,

A couple of suggestions for you...

If you now have the money to buy the equipment for the ultimate ride, unattainable when young, good for you!

For a single speed wheel set, without a doubt I would go with a set of Phil Wood single speed hubs. These are the highest quality hubs you will ever see, will last long enough to pass on to your great grandchildren, and look the sh*t. Spendy, but there are no equal. Period correct as far as Phil being around forever.

As for a fork, a nice Vicious straight blade unicrown would look splendid, complementing the lines of the frame. Ridgid is the only way to go if you are going old school singlespeed :D .

Here are a couple pics to wet your appetite...

Attachments

• phil hub 2.jpg
    phil hub 2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4,458
  • phil hub 1.jpg
    phil hub 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4,458
Back