Should I go tubeless?

Dickyboy":3ajkds2s said:
How do peoples get on with initial inflation if the tyre/rim combo is quite tight? I have recently acquired some UST wheels but I had to over inflate the tyres to 60psi just to get the bead to pop onto the rim properly & I can see this might be a problem if I go tubeless.

Try putting some soapy water on the rim / tyre next time as it should help the tyre seat by providing a bit of lubrication

yes yes yes and finally yes ive been tubless about 3 years now so much easier and you can tell the diff when riding plus lower pressure more grip better rolling whats not to like :D

iv'e used stans and joes but prefer joes ps if you use a co2 inflater on the trail or to get your tires on the rim asap let them down and re inflate using a norma track pump as co2 reacts with sealant and makes it harden into balls of latex rubber seen it first hand :shock:

Just got a set of American classic tubeless wheels and some hutchison tyres.. look nicem, haven't got around to using them yet :oops: but they sure seem lighter...

one question (a dumb one) I always assumed you could, but you can still run regular tyres on them right?

Yes, you just need to remove the tubeless valve from the rim. You should also get away with running' non tubeless' tyres tubeless on them.

dvatcmark":2vf83xpb said:
stevec1975":2vf83xpb said:
Tubeless is the way forward, without a doubt, not for weight saving, as most of the time there isn't,

Maybe true if you use UST tyres, I just use normal tyres on stans rims and they work fine. One scoop of sealant is a lot lighter than an inner tube, hence the weight saving

Edit: Infact I don't know anybody who uses UST tyres, as normal tyres work on UST rims too and the weight gain of a UST specify tyre isn;t worth it.

I am using standard Schwalbe Rocket Ron's (Non UST), being a weight weenie, I measured everything myself (per wheel weights)

Stan's Rim Strip/Valve = 61g
Ritchey Rim Tape = 13g
1.5 Scoops of Stans = 64g

So slightly heavier than the Tubes I had in place beforehand.

I know if you have stans rims you can dispense with the heavy rim strip and just get a valve (c.10g), it just makes it easier on my rims

stevec1975":1ejhrlxw said:
dvatcmark":1ejhrlxw said:
stevec1975":1ejhrlxw said:
Tubeless is the way forward, without a doubt, not for weight saving, as most of the time there isn't,

Maybe true if you use UST tyres, I just use normal tyres on stans rims and they work fine. One scoop of sealant is a lot lighter than an inner tube, hence the weight saving

Edit: Infact I don't know anybody who uses UST tyres, as normal tyres work on UST rims too and the weight gain of a UST specify tyre isn;t worth it.

I am using standard Schwalbe Rocket Ron's (Non UST), being a weight weenie, I measured everything myself (per wheel weights)

Stan's Rim Strip/Valve = 61g
Ritchey Rim Tape = 13g
1.5 Scoops of Stans = 64g

So slightly heavier than the Tubes I had in place beforehand.

I know if you have stans rims you can dispense with the heavy rim strip and just get a valve (c.10g), it just makes it easier on my rims

You can get away with using just the yellow stans tape on most rims - 20gm max!

Yep, I did think about it, but was too much of a wuss to try it, will give it a go with just a valve/stans tape when I change tyres next, will save 80g's too!

I keep toying with the idea mainly for the weight saving but am put off by:

a) the sitcky mess inside should an inner tube be needed
b) carrying 2 tubes instead of 1 (I carry one spare tube but to ensure I will be able to get home should the sticky goo not work, then I would need 2 tubes).

02gf74":acua1z96 said:

b) carrying 2 tubes instead of 1 (I carry one spare tube but to ensure I will be able to get home should the sticky goo not work, then I would need 2 tubes).

That's a good point I hadn't considered :?

Hmm.

Would like to give it a bash as have the yellow tape already installed so would just need the goo and the valves.

Seems the way forward ...... I think!

02gf74":1ccrsd0q said:

Shush! That could never happen! :facepalm:

Back