Thinking of changing my rims ?

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I've got Mavic 700c rims on my project Pavone road bike 're-build' which has wear marks on the rims caused by braking
the rims which are on my bike are Mavic open 4CD and i've spotted a brand new pair of Mavic MA40 700c rims.

Which is the best rim ? the MA40 or 4CD ?

I think when my Pavone is rebuilt the rims will let it down slightly !

This is the condition of my rims now !

Cheers.
Ian.

Both are good rims. Open 4CD probably just edges it for me, but a nice shiny new pair of MA40s would be hard to resist!

Unless it's going to be a display bike, I would say don't bother to change the rims.

As soon as you start using brakes on new dark anodised rims, the sidewalls are going to show wear marks.

I'd say save the MA40s as replacement for when the currents rims are actually worn out, ie the sidewalls get too thin from braking. Also the MA40s are shallower than the Open 4CD so might need different spoke lengths.

fiks":1cox9zj9 said:
Also the MA40s are shallower than the Open 4CD so might need different spoke lengths.

HHmmm ! I'd thought about that ! Would new spokes be needed and is all the effort needed to change something that doesn't need changing.

I have thought about trying to remove the hard anodising on my original rims to neaten them up slightly !

The MA40's are £95 for a brand new pair do you reckon this is a rip off price ?

Ian.

My 2c:
I prefer the look of MA40s, but the two rims are much alike in terms of quality and ride in my opinion.
Yes, I'm pretty sure you would need longer spokes for the MA40s (could check with one of the online spoke length calculators).
And, yes, in my experience the hard anodizing on the braking surfaces will wear off pretty quickly, putting you back in the same position you are in now.
I also think £95 is a bit steep. Nigel at campyoldy has a range of nice Campag clincher rims for less than that (e.g. Omegas, which are a similar weight to the Mavics, I think).
Nick

Right then thats it i'm keeping the original rims, but i might see about lightly sanding the 'not so bad' wear marks off my rims !

so they look better :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back