First build - 1997 Orange X1

not keen on the green and yellow but other than that, thumbs up from me

Thanks for all the comments.
The green wasn't a plan, I managed to pick up the DCD on ebay and liked the look of it on the bike, shame the cables dont quite match, but very happy with the overall finish. Really felt it needed a splash of another colour.

Heres the specs:

'97 Orange X1 Frame - original Strata Shock
'97 Rockshox Judy DH's (sprung)
NOS Ritchey logic H/S
NOS Ritchey logic Stem
NOS Ritchey Seat
Shimano XT M739 Shifters
Shimano XT M739 Levers
Shimano XT M738 Front Mech
Shimano XT M739 Rear Mech
'00 Mavic X517 red rims on XT M750 Hubs
'NEW' WTB Velociraptors (might change for some skinwalls)
Ritchey pro lite Flat Handlebars
'NEW' Ritchey classic Seatpost
'CRAP' seatpost clamp (original collar)
Shimano LX M569 Crankset
NEW HG50 8 speed Cassette
NEW IG Chain
Clarks cableset w/Jagwire ferrules
'NOS' CRUD DCD
'NEW' Ragley grips (cos of the colour)
Pedals M545's just for first ride(awaiting M525's)

Thanks again

Decals

Does anyone know where I can get/commission some original looking decals for this X1? Strangely they seem to be different than the ones in the Orange '97 catalogue.

x1

i would ask orange first. here is their number.. 01422 311113. as they have loads of nos stuff kicking about. failing that our resident gil_m just may have some on his data base and, can recommend the quality of his services.

how much psi do you currently have in the strata?

marc.

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the info. I'll try Orange next week. As I said before they seem to be slightly different, but unsure why. I've attached a shot of the decal on the seat tube, which is the main one that is different. Another thing that I've noticed with the frame is that the 'seat stay depth stopper' (as quoted from 97 catalogue) seems to be missing, but it has not been cut off so not sure what that means.

I read somewhere that the pressure for Strata shocks should match rider weight. Being a bit portly at the moment I have manged to get about 150PSI into it, and although it seems too hard I'm sure that once I get out riding it I'll have to drop it. Hoping for a ride this weekend, I'll keep you posted.

Dean

Attachments

• seattube.jpg
    seattube.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,372
Change those gears!!!!:eek:

Ha, but seriously, I remember lusting over this bike years ago when they came out - mid to late 90's I think - and full suspension was starting to become a little more mainstream. Nice job!

Donnie

Very Very Very nice Indeed, I am on the look out for one, really wanted one as a First Full Susser Retro Build, had to settle for a Proflex which is great and im loving every minute but this has to be the one to get........my quest continues :)

Jussa

Finished!!!Well I did say sort of

Hi all,
Just wanted to let you all see the bike again. It's changed a little from when I first posted pics and I've still got a few bits to do.

Things changed:
Salsa rasta QR's
Salsa green Seatpost QR
Lost the DCD and green cables
WTB amberwall Velociraptor's (NOS rear)
Shimano M525 SPD's
Orange SK9 stem (red decals - thanks Gil)
'Original' red decals - thanks Development_cycles
NOS M739 Chainrings

Thinks left to do:
Fit Orange 'hotrod' Handlebars with custom red decals (by Gil)
Fit Orange seatpost with custom red decals (by Gil)

Attachments

• IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 280
Dino

Loving the X1, Dig the changes you've made since your last post. I think it looks alot better for being toned down.
All you need to do now is hit those trails.... bet you don't see another one ;) I've been on four National Series rides including Surrey Hills on mine and have yet to meet anyone who has one at home, let alone turn up on it.

I'd be interesting to know how many are out there, there's lots of love for Clockworks and Vit T's etc on here, but the X1 has always been an enigma, one time cutting edge but since lost to time and at best it's qwerky design is an acquired taste.

Back in the day it got excellent reviews by the press, shame that in reality many of its features / design proved to be evolutionary dead ends and history hasn't been kind to U.R.T's :oops: one inch headsets :shock: . . . .and since mines running Canti's its even more efflicted :?

Attachments

• MBUK 1996 X1 Release.jpg
    MBUK 1996 X1 Release.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 254
Back