1959 Carlton, brought back to life

tiermat

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
At the beginning of the year I bought a job lot of frames, including this sorry specimen:

P1000023.JPG

It's 53cm, so just the right size for my wife. I thought about doing other things with the bike (rattle can respray, dumping it, selling it on, etc etc) but finally settled on building it as a birthday present for the SO.

So the frame was stripped of BB and headset then sent off to Dave Yates for a coat of #49 Violo Chioro. Extra braze ones were added (DT shifter boss, rear mech cable guide(below stay) and bottle) and some removed (over bb cable guide, rear mech cable guide (above stay) as well as having the rear end cold set to 130mm. This may upset some purists, but I wanted a bike that was easy to keep on the road, which meant a modern groupset.

Due to time and secrecy constraints I had to get one of my friends to do the build. I chose and bought all the parts and got him to throw them at the bike :)

Anyways this last weekend was my wife's birthday and the bike was duly handed over, for it's maiden voyage, looking thusly...

461936_10150763329221794_738101793_9703229_538291148_o.jpg

A bit of a change, I am sure you will agree, and one that is appreciated by a lot of people, my wife included.

Very very good job. I love the mix of old and new, and the colour is wonderful. Your wife is lucky to have you !

Latest posts

Back