Avid Juicy 5 - leaking around lever/reservoir

grogee

Retro Guru
Have a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and the rear brake lever is leaking fluid around the joint on the lever...

It's slightly corroded around the joint which is maybe why fluid is getting out.

Was going to take off top cap, gently sand off corrosion and replace.

Will I need a bleed kit, and if so, does it have to be Avid specific or can I use something 'universal'.

All help/advice gratefully received!

Attachments

• avid j5.jpg
    avid j5.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,858
Very common problem that.

Not sure on the fix as we have either replaced or had serviced.

Will most likely need a bleed as air will get in when you put the cap on.
And you bleed with the cap on also.

They take a little screw in bleed port.
You can get the syringe kits for around £10 on ebay.

I have found avids to be a nightmare to bleed though although im sure someone on here can give you some tips.

what joint? you mean leaking at the cap or elsewhere?

if it is the cap, then check the lever body and cap jointing surfaces are flat - if you need to sand, then place a piece of fine wet'n'dry e.g. 600 on a flat surface such as a sheet of glass and rub the lever/cap over it in a cirucular fashion ..... but there is a rubber seal (Avid refer to it as a bladder) whcih should act as a seal.

see here

I have white Avid J3 that have done something similar. The DOT fluid eats at the paint on the lever leaving bare metal. I haven't addressed it as there hasn't been a loss in braking performance.

I did, however, wreck a piston when I knocked a pad out. So had to buy a bleed kit for when I replaced that.. I just bought an inexpensive one on Ebay, it came with full instructions and fluid and worked a treat.

First time I've dealt with hydraulics, wasn't too difficult once I got my head around it.

DOT4 and paint? WTF were they thinking? That's crazy! No wonder it leaks!

I note my older Shimano Deore ones use mineral oil which wouldn't cause same problem - although Avid seals will be specced for DOT4.

Why the hell does it need DOT4! It doesn't get up to 1000deg C FFS!

I'm going to have a go with the prescribed wet n dry 600 grit + piece of glass and put it back together and see - but sounds like seal/bladder is kaput.

Of course you can't buy that on its own, you need to buy whole seal kit for a tenner :evil:

I feel a strongly worded letter to Avid coming on...

Back