Intense M1 Main Pivot Bolt Stuck ?

heavyp

Retro Guru
The story so far that i have posted on numerous forums.

I bought a second hand intense m1 and its obviously old but the owner said he replaced the bearings a few times, this is fair comment as the swing arm moves as if it was brand new but im wanting to respray this bike and for the life of me i can not get the bolt undone on the main pivot where chain stay meets the main frame.

Ive snapped an allen key, I have left wd40 on if for ages I not sure what else to try ?

Ive used heat before many moons ago but have heard its bad for the metal since so i dont want anything to do with it

Turns out i didnt see the set screw as there was still mud and dirt covering it.

but

Have managed to get the small locking screw out and the main bolt started to turn , only about half a turn but then went tight so i left it for a day to come back with fresh veiw of things.
Have the locking screw out and with the aid of WD have managed to get the bolt undone from the threaded bit but it doesn't seem to want to come through the centre, even though it turns freely by hand.

This is really really annoying as i need to get this frame to the soda blaster and the spray painter

HELP?

Anyone ? I dont think its bent.

The story now is i can unthread it fine for the one side of the swingarm and that moves up and down, but the main pivot bolt will not pull through out the other side or move at all even thou it spins so easy by hand.

Could it be that the sleeve (if there is one inside the frame) is just spinning as the bolt is turning?

My frame does this (bolt either side) and i havent worked out how to remove both at the same time yet!

Possibly if you can get something under the head of the bolt, apply upward pressure to it?

cyfa2809":3dkrg8zx said:
Could it be that the sleeve (if there is one inside the frame) is just spinning as the bolt is turning?

My frame does this (bolt either side) and i havent worked out how to remove both at the same time yet!

Possibly if you can get something under the head of the bolt, apply upward pressure to it?

I dont want to risk bending stripping weakening anything im so scared haha are M1's just not mesnt to be resprayed ? haha

Erm someone on here recently had an intense repainted in green(which was for sale), not sure on model though.

This was a pain for me as lock screw snapped so cost me £140 to have the pivot bolt cut out of the frame. i bought the last two bolts from extra (intense UK distributor) a nightmare it was. Just sold the spare bolt on ebay 2 weeks ago (this always happens when i sell something)

When you turn the bolt does the other side of the frame flex as though its not moving through? If you do get it out make sure you don't lose the massive washers as they are important.

Failing that buy mine and put your seat stays and shock on £150 posted and keep yours for parts :)

Panic over i got the bast#$d out after a few weeks and nothing is damaged and there is nothing to show why it was stuck in the frame for that long.

Onwards and upwards soda blast and spray job coming

Back