1994 Kona Fire Mountain

ajm

Senior Retro Guru
Not very exotic, I know... but it's been a fantastic bike, my daily ride since I got it in 1995. In fairly original spec;

fire_mountain_side_on.png

And a while later, in its element...

fire_mountain_horse_island1.png

It's had a new chainset and new saddle since then, race guard etc added, but it's still essentially as it was there because the setup "Just Works".

All those years of use and abuse, through copious amounts of mud, dust, grit and road salt have taken their toll and it is currently getting treated to a new drivetrain and some touch-up paint. I know it's not really "worth it" keeping on upgrading what wasn't exactly a high-end frame even when it was new, but somehow I can't bring myself to part with it :)

Cheers,

AJ

I bought Jerky's! Still got it - it's awesome... It's got rapidfire on, though, thinking about reverting it to thumbies...

That's a nice little bike, and a superb photo. 1994 was the first year they put the triple-butted P2s on the Fire Mountain, and I think that makes a big difference, as it really is a classic fork.

You're obviously a true retrobiker with your cantis and your toeclips!

Anthony":2xsx2iui said:
You're obviously a true retrobiker with your cantis and your toeclips!

The Fire Mountain still has cantis, I love the cable routing for those, but I must admit disc brakes are probably one of the few "modern" norms that I have any interest in, though obviously I'm not going to be getting any on the FM!

On the other hand, the pedals with clips I hardly ever use these days - even a year or two before I got that bike I was mostly using M737 SPDs (cost me about 80 quid IIRC, I still have the box, the disassembly tool and the receipt somewhere)

I used to swap to flat pedals and clips when going places where there'd be a lot of walking / carrying involved and where ordinary walking boots were more suitable than my cycling shoes... haven't done that for ages now, though a snowy cycle a few weeks back reminded me of how annoying clogged up SPDs can be!

Back