Early Eddy Merckx MX Leader

Merlin

Old School Hero
I think this is an early MX Leader, both from the frame number and the absence of gear cable guides on the lug at the top of the downtube.

Attachments

• MX Leader 018w.jpg
    MX Leader 018w.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,778
I have used a mixture of pre and post 1995 Campagnolo parts some Chorus but mostly Record. The rear mech is a spare Record OR which I had lying unused which gives the option of using a larger rear cog than 26 teeth.

I will probably put Ergo levers on it sooner or later but I used downtube shifters today to save time building and let me ride it before daylight ran out.

Attachments

• MX Leader 016w.jpg
    MX Leader 016w.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,770
That's a beautiful bike. :cool: I'd change the bar tape but that's all. I wouldn't even replace the down tube shifters with brifters if it was mine.

But it isn't... :(

very nice! I wish the bits I have just lying around included stuff like record OR mechs :shock:

Thanks for the kind comments. I chose the pink bar tape to pick out the pink in the frame but it does not quite work. It looks better in real life than in the photo so I will not change it until it gets dirty.

Merlin":h8975dwr said:
Thanks for the kind comments. I chose the pink bar tape to pick out the pink in the frame but it does not quite work. It looks better in real life than in the photo so I will not change it until it gets dirty.

I disagree with above comments - the pink bar tape is nice and works well. If it was still the mid-nineties, you'd be able to get some lovely Ambrosio bar tape that was a fade of pink to purple, and would have been ace on your Merckx.

Beautiful bike...I'm jealous !

1988_Ben":224didar said:
Merlin":224didar said:

I disagree with above comments - the pink bar tape is nice and works well. If it was still the mid-nineties, you'd be able to get some lovely Ambrosio bar tape that was a fade of pink to purple, and would have been ace on your Merckx.

+1 from me. I like the pink tape. Perhaps it's my feminine side showing :roll:

Old Ned":u8xkdy7i said:
1988_Ben":u8xkdy7i said:
Merlin":u8xkdy7i said:

+1 from me. I like the pink tape. Perhaps it's my feminine side showing :roll:

Hmm.... Old Ned, you have a pink Buzz lo-pro, you like the pink 'bar tape and you made me race in a pink top!

Nice bike Merlin regardless of 'bar tape colour. I agree with keeping the downtube shifters though.

Mark.

Back