Pace RC300 - ridden

treacle":1oyuclzs said:
Duraace 10speed thumbies mate. Guess they are black and 9 are grey??

Yep, that's what I thought. What rear mech are you planning to use? AFAIK Shimano 10sp road shifters and mechs are not compatible with the 10sp mtb kit, otherwise I'd have kept the M985 on mine and fitted those thumbies ;)

treacle":3692cdfi said:
So what set up you using? You are duo with 10 no?

2x9 M970 mechs and 9sp thumbies. I would have prefered to keep it with 10sp XTR but wanted to use thumbies on the Pace.

Hmmm need to think about this! Not got mech yet and can take shifters back. But was told could run 10 speed set up this way.

More research needed!

After some research (Internet only) it seems that I can run 10 speed duraace shifters as long as you avoid (985) derailleurs. Supposed to work ok with a 9 speed 970 rear d. May need to change my fr der as this is dynasys (985)..

Wanted to run latest gen xtr, but also wanted to run thumbshifters.... Hmmm decisions!

Fudd sir, having run both 985 and then a thumbie set up - which wins over for you thus far???

treacle":25h5jecd said:
After some research (Internet only) it seems that I can run 10 speed duraace shifters as long as you avoid (985) derailleurs. Supposed to work ok with a 9 speed 970 rear d. May need to change my fr der as this is dynasys (985)..

Wanted to run latest gen xtr, but also wanted to run thumbshifters.... Hmmm decisions!

So what you are saying is that you can run 10sp with the DA thumbies, 9sp rear mech and 10sp cassette? I hope this is true as it opens up a lot of options :D

Your front mech should be ok. The left thumbie works in friction mode only so no indexing issues to worry about. Its only the rear mechs that have different cable pull ratios.

treacle":25h5jecd said:
Fudd sir, having run both 985 and then a thumbie set up - which wins over for you thus far???

That's hard to say - The M970/980 are buttery smooth and allow 3 downshifts or 2 up in one press and they are almost always in the perfect position. The thumbies on the other hand can shift as many gears as you like in one move but you have to change your grip a bit to do it but then that becomes intuitive after a while.... I'm not sure which I prefer but I have three bikes and two of them have thumbies fitted....

Yeah this is supposed to work ( don't qoute me ) with any mech as long as it is not pre 97 duraace or modern 10 speed mtb. Guess i will go back one gen just to satisfy my thumbie fettish. Will have m900 rapidfire on my merlin to keep up with the times!

I am not sure with the m985 front mech as the DA shifters seem to be fully indexed with no friction option. Fudd, do yours have that little rod/bar loop thing so you can turn/switch from friction to indexed ( mine does not have this ). I am thinking that the indexing spacing may be different again....

Fudd":2tlsfzgg said:
So what you are saying is that you can run 10sp with the DA thumbies, 9sp rear mech and 10sp cassette? I hope this is true as it opens up a lot of options :D

You can but the system is really pushing the limits for cable friction that might affect shifting in poor conditions.

When I was in Shimano QC there were a few people testing out 10 speed modded MTB systems using flat bar shifters on the rear and they experienced bad shifting when it got gloopy as the cables were fouling.

Yeah I can see this may happen. But would this also not be shimanos standard line on all things non standard. For instance many tourer/road types uses a similar set up using mtb mechs when they need a wider ratio range.

Was the feedback also similar for a 9 speed set up?

Back