Are newer XT rear mechs any good!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

I've just broken my existing rear mech a Shimano XT RD-M772 shadow, the top jockey wheel bolt has threaded the arm. Was thinking of getting a new one sometime soon anyway as both jockey wheels are worn and getting sharp....

....So my question after looking into a replacement it seems that the M772's don't get a very good write up anyway...and similar models also get the same poor ratings. So are they "not what they used to be!" Can anyone suggest an XT model, 9 speed that is better than the others? Or should I stump up the eXTRa for XTR?

Rest of the drivetrain is XT but shifters LX

All advice appreciated

Wook

The older XT M750/760 mechs are pretty bombproof, and always worked well for me in all conditions.
I've just upgraded one bike to an XTR shadow rear mech, and whilst it's very nice, I can't say I can feel a massive difference in the shifting.

Personally, I think that mechs (certainly XT and XTR) reached their pinnacle with M737/739/950/952 etc.

You could buy an XTR rear mech then, knowing that it was light, reliable AND bombproof.

Now it seems like you can pick 2 out of 3... :roll:

The new XTR are very nice.

How did the bolt thread the arm?

I always take reviews with a pinch of salt. To give the M772 Shadow it's due, I've done literally thousands of miles on one (been through two sets of jockey wheels) and I don't see why/how they're worse in comparison to any other recent XT model. Top and bottom of it is they work - they change gear, keep chain tension, are strong enough, don't weigh a ton and don't really go wrong (although that may be contrary to your experience!). Get the XTR if you want something that works and looks a little better, otherwise get another XT M-whatever, ride and don't worry about it.

Well ended up going for another m772 as my LBS had one in stock on sale...My last one had been there from new (2008 Marin Rift Zone) and has waded through 1000's of muddy British miles. So I figure if this one lasts another 4 years for £50 thats not bad.

As for the threading business, its the bolt that runs through the top jockey wheel. Where it screws into the back cage arm has no thread. I'm guessing it had been loose for a while and had been jiggling back and forth eventually failing....both jockey wheels were pretty shark tooth like aswell so easier just to get a new one.

Latest posts

Back