Quik's 1992 GT Zaskar LE (Nearly Finished)

Welcome to Zaskar World. Nice bike you have there.

Like the others, I'm not a mega shine sort of person. My 94 LE was highly polished when new.... and I've never tried to improve on that. ;)

You will probably find the parts you need in the classifieds. Use the search function and you'll be surprised what pops up.

Thanks for posting, and keep us up to date with how things go, we just love to see those pictures. :cool:

Zaskars are meant to be ridden! So please make no item for a museum out of it. A little shine is ok, but most people I knew back in the day peeled the decals of before the thing saw it's first dirt. The frame shouts Zaskar into your face so no extra lettering necessary.

But whatever you do, RIDE IT.

Greetz and congrats on an epic icon.

Dan

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys.

The Zaskar is just screaming to be ridden and I intend to do so. Just keen to get her into shape first. Ill strip the old decals off, and just go down the metal polish and new decals route. I took her for a ride yesterday and the shifters need some work and the forks need their pressure reduced but she'll be back to her former glory in no time.

Like I had said I am keen to find the original shifter but it's pretty hard to find so far. There are derailleurs around but hard to find shifts for 7 speed. I love the idea of Thumbies but am quite keen to get a quick trigger shifter. I'll keep looking and if that falls through then it's Thumbies or newer shifters or alternative like an LX.

Removal of the granny carrier on the back was phase 1 of the restoration and removing the bar ends is phase 2.

Anyone here own and stil rides a pair of Mag21s? I'm surprised they still seem to work.

Thanks again, I've got the Zaskar bug now!!

Ever considered Grip Shift?

I have had them on my Zaskar from new, and fit them to all my bikes. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them.

You could try a wanted ad for the shifters. Quite often people have stuff, but don't put it in the for sale section.

NeilM":3v1k00sd said:
Ever considered Grip Shift?

I have had them on my Zaskar from new, and fit them to all my bikes. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like them.

You could try a wanted ad for the shifters. Quite often people have stuff, but don't put it in the for sale section.

Looking at my options so that might be one. I could switch over my Deore Thumbies from my Kona but I'm in the process of selling that right now.

I've put an ad up now. Fingers crossed.

Very cool. I'm looking forward to the progress on this one.

I have a spare RD M735 short cage that is in good shape.

Cool bike just recently got a 91 in my size and it's rides v v well

I agree meant to be ridden, forks can be rebuilt locally if you are interested

I've PMed you guys, cheers.

Mid week I'm heading round to Mahoney's place (aka the guy with the 1990 Tange Prestige Pink Muddy Fox) to pull apart the Zaskar. I don't have the space or tools to do it justice here. So anyway, tonight I got bored and thought I'd see how she polished up after 30 mins or so. No parts taken off the bike yet except for the carrier and bar ends so it was a pretty surface polish with some Autosol and I must admit it looks pretty encouraging!

The decals came off easily with a hair dryer and a clean and polish wasn't too strenuous. Next step will be to give it a proper clean, really tidy up the cranks etc. Closer inspection shows that it definitely needs new cables but both wheels are true and the Mag21s still appear to be in amazing shape for their age.

Here are tonight's frame photos less worn decals. You can still see the decal marks there and there are a few scratches but once the parts have been stripped i'll give it another quick polish.

Cheers Merckx and Tomahawk kid for the advice!

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 905
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 905
looking great! yeah autosol is good gear. once you have it stripped to a bare frame, the polish job will be very easy.

autosol also works a treat on cranks and all other natural finished parts

Re: 1992 GT Zaskar LE (here we go)

"Front Brake: Can't work it out - Shimano something"

Your front brake is Shimano XT from that era.

XT BRM734 Cantilevers

Nice Zaskar!

Back