Diamondback ? New pictures added

spike3

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm trying to reduce the fleet to a more sensible size, so it seemed only logical that I should buy this for £26 as it was just up the road :oops: will pick it up early next week hopefully, but I'm rather excited as I have never bought a complete retro bike to use as it is.

Question is what model is it please? (ebay picture)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJEoE913Dt66fBPm+K46sMw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqFHJEoE913Dt66fBPm+K46sMw~~60_12.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 608
Ah I was watching that one. I think that it's a 1992 Ascent.
Must've been an earth tremor when the photo was taken though.

Off to pick it up now, lets see if your right, whatever it is it seemed cheap to me for £26 :D

Well you got the model right :cool:

Good points:
Very good condition smoke tyre
Complete
Paint is tidy with little rust
The seatpost is not stuck :D

Bad points
The brakes are plastic
gear shifters are boken
Chain is shot
Seat was lunch to a mouse

All in all a good start for a light restoration

mmm gotta love smokey finish Diamondbacks. 1990 model is it?

Ascent would be my guess. Ascent EX perhaps?

Here's some decent pictures for you guy's, can we come up with a manufacture date?

The original plan was to make it catalogue correct but then I started to pull it apart and realised an upgrade or two was in order. So the current plan is to make this my all weather mud plugger for when it's too horrible to use the xtr'd bikes.

Attachments

• IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3135.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 513
electronicaeric":1r4ye2dm said:
Will make a nice ride mate.You've gotta love a bargain :cool:

Well there's a guy trying to flog his for £150 in the for sale section so that does make me feel i did well.

Now for the spec changes purists look away :LOL:

Wheels - Bontrager 28 spoke black
Brakes - Tektro V brakes and levers
Gears - Deore 8sp derailer with modern shifters
Stem - FSA 90mm
Tyres - Rear WTB, front Maxis ignitor
Grips - Black Foam
Bar ends - none
Chain - Sram PC 850

Forgot to weigh it first, but I estimate it will take roughly 1kg off the weight as the bontrager wheels are fairly light.

spike3":2d3hai7p said:
Here's some decent pictures for you guy's, can we come up with a manufacture date?
I think it's a 92.

There's a 92 brochure in the catalogue section, and that paintjob seems to be a special edition of the Ascent for that year.

I can't seem to put my finger on my 91 UK brochure, at the moment, and it's a German version in the catalogue section. But I'm fairly sure the Ascent wasn't white in 91, I think the Ascent EX was black, and the Ascent a sort of bright orange colour.

Could be a 90 - but don't know whether the 90 Ascent would have had push-push STIs (were they out then?), so I'm going for 92.

Back