1996 Orange P7 Nickel

^ Cheers mate, my fellow Wirralonian ;)

Some updates to report on this now: decided to get the F7 forks resprayed gloss black after much deliberating, along with the stem.

It would have been too much hassle to strip the forks back just to see the state of the nickel plating, so finally took the decision to go for a nickel/black finish in the end.

Had the stem done as well as a) the stem was a bit rusty and b) it had a 'champagne/titanium' style colour to it which didn't sit right against the nickel frame, plus I feel it's easier on the eye and a matching stem/forks blends better than just the forks being one colour. Would have preferred the nickel forks but hey-ho...

Used Liverpool's finest, C&G Finishes, to do the job and also ended up having the frame re-lacquered as well (ahem...despite several times saying that I wouldn't - common sense prevailed in the end.... :oops: :D ) and very happy with the job they did.

Started assembling some parts, too -

P1060740.jpg

P1060739.jpg

P1060738.jpg

More bits added -

P1060743.jpg

P1060742.jpg

(Ignore the random, spare wheels - going to order some from Merlin Cycles next week!)

P1060741.jpg

Added decals when I got back from work:

P1060746.jpg

P1060747.jpg

P1060752.jpg

P1060750.jpg

P1060749.jpg

Getting there soon I hope!

P1060751.jpg

P1060745.jpg

Cheers,

Matty

:D

EDIT: 01/05/12

Wheels have arrived from Merlin Cycles, very quick delivery and they will do the job I'm sure..... :D

Went for XT hubs, XM317 black rims and ACI spokes in the end and also picked up a Shimano Tiagra 8spd HG50 cassette, too.

P1060965.jpg

P1060967.jpg

P1060968.jpg

P1060969.jpg

P1060975.jpg

Just need to fit the chain and add cables then hopefully that'll be job done!

;)

Finally finished this off! :D

Just come back from a quick shake-down ride and I'm well pleased, rides flawlessly and it's exactly how I envisaged it to be when receiving a tatty frame all those weeks ago...!

Glad I went with rigid forks in the end and also very happy with the black forks and stem combo now especially after being in two minds initially :oops: :LOL:

1995 decals on a 1996 frame with 1997 features but hopefully it blends together.

P1070035.jpg

P1070037.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

P1070038.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

P1070040.jpg

P1070036.jpg

;)

rekrutacja":v1726m1s said:
minor_LEGEND":v1726m1s said:
very nice, that just needs some knobbly tyres.

I would vote for semislicks - Ritchey Speedmax or similar. Anyway, great bike!

Looks gorgeous mate! :cool:
Its given me some ideas for my 96 P7 build.

Agree with the tyres comment though, it just looks like its lost that chunky business like edge. I have put Shwalbe Hurricanes on the wifes Lava Dome and I really like them. From the side they look like a knobbly but with a slick middle running area. I might get some for my Lava Dome and save the original A/B Drive Joe Murray tyres that came with it.

I am thinking of using the block type letters in black as like you I think that the later decals were a bit too fancy.

Nice build.

Dean.

Thanks Dean - slicks are there for a reason as its in commuter mode currently and I appear to be the only one who like them like that! :oops: :D

Yes, the decals I opted for (1995 ones) were purely out of preference, but gil-m has the later 1996 ones as well if you wanted them.

Cheers,

Matty

Dossa":249u65vf said:
Thanks Dean - slicks are there for a reason as its in commuter mode currently and I appear to be the only one who like them like that! :oops: :D

Yes, the decals I opted for (1995 ones) were purely out of preference, but gil-m has the later 1996 ones as well if you wanted them.

Cheers,

Matty

Well, the tyres dont detract from a lovely build Matty. :cool:

I intend to have a serious wheel/tyre set, and a semi road wheel/tyre set such as the shwalbe hurricanes, and I know which will be fitted most of the time. :oops:

Back