Raleigh Gran Sport

suechoccy":7ut3twmn said:
wired99":7ut3twmn said:
Thanks for the bit of background on yours, gutted to hear you had it nicked mind.. :(

Mine is just undergoing a 'spring clean' at the minute. Its a truly beautiful bike to ride..

Wired99

Thanks to a tip from Hilts, I've just bought an all-original one last night which I'm picking up this weekend, correct size for me too, so I'll also be spring-cleaning as well as reliving my yoof.

That's great news Sue, you'll be Old Skooling yet! Still time to enter the Bridlington CC 25 on 27 May which has an Old Skool category.

We want piccies of the bike too ;)

Yawn yawn, just back from a 2 hour road trip, it's midnight-thirty, and we're sitting in the kitchen, drinking tea, munching biscuits and admiring the RGS and have now gone all nostalgic and pulled out the old black-and-white photos of a skinny teenage girl racing on one in the 1980s.

It's not bad condition at all and doesn't look like it's had much use - not much wear on chain, original brake pads, pedals spin beautifully, hardly any scratches on frame. Headset's tight and saddlepin is in the wrong way round (to get saddle as far forward as poss), tiny hint of a kink in rear wheel and the slight beginnings of some pitting at top of forks, brake hoods knackered. Nothing that some tlc won't put right. Will's already put it on his list for a full service.

Only difference between this and my original one is this has the Weinmann concave rims with tubs whereas mine had the Mavic Monthlery Pro 700c rims as I knew I couldn't afford to replace tubs when I punctured.

What a great thread - lovely (very classy) bike and a contributor who actually rode one in anger back in the day. Look forward to the pics of Sues bike, and more of Wireds bike out of doors once summer appears...

Have just acquired a Raleigh Gran Sport and am about to have it overhauled. Seems to be all original with all original campag equipments and the original Tornado saddle though I may put a Brookes one on for the moment. Looking forward to riding it at the Pendle Witches in March. My only puzzle is the 531ST badge on the downtube and lack of chrome to chain stays. The frame number dates it to November 1982.

Attachments

• DSC_0001b.jpg
    DSC_0001b.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 666
Gran Sport Revived

THe bike has now been restored pretty much to full working order with new brake blocks cables chain and handlebar tape plus replacement brake hoods all done by the excellent The Cycle Spa near here. The only problem has been the weather here today so that its only had a modest test run. THe incorrect 531ST sticker has been removed and the new 531C will be added soon. Have left the original Tornado saddle for the moment but need to replace the tyres was thinking of Panaracer 700 x 25.
Any thoughts on tyres appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0001A.jpg
    DSC_0001A.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 602
Re:

Wonderful thread worthy of resurrection. Here’s mine restrained restoration carried out as per thread in signature.

Attachments

• FFC873B8-5F2E-4634-9FF9-001217E6B014.jpeg
    FFC873B8-5F2E-4634-9FF9-001217E6B014.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 302
Back