Carbon bars - I SEEK THE TRUTH...

That Santa Cruz video was interesting.

Its funny peoples (inc me) perceptions regarding carbon.

Even after seeing videos like that ad the Niner fork one I think I would still struggle to use a carbon bar.

No issue using a 125g scandium bar though.

Go figure.

I worry more about carbon seat post. My 90 gram post worries me

Not really off road but I've been using a 56cm Bottechia full CF bar for 3 years on my Spesh globe pro.
I'm a 103 kg and being a roadie have the bars about 3-4 lower than the saddle so a lot of my upper body weight (all muscle btw ;) ) is on there.
Bike is used as a commuter, heavy duty shopping bike as well as doing Alpine climbing/descending & audax riding so gets plenty of use.
They're attached via a 140mm ITM millenium stem (& always have been) for additonal info.
Despite my somewhat agressive road style at times & reasonable mass I've never had a creak out of them and never feel unsure in any situation.

If you could find another botty I'd say buy it & enjoy it

Great video, just shows how much effort if put into designing bikes with strength and lightness today!

Difference there is yes the carbon frame took a higher load to fully break it but in actual fact the carbon frame is broken at 800lbs where you can hear the carbon strands snapping, yes it didnt snap but the alloy one is just miss shapen and is still attached at 1400 lbs where its folded!

Yes its a massive step forward for carbon technology but if you crashed that on the trail and didnt hear the snapping noises because youre heads in the dirt you'd think it was ok to be riding until it actually does break on you. The alloy one would be bent and you could tell!!

I think the drop test was a fairer test tbh. The wind it up til it breaks is ok but when do you ever have an impact like that? They had to seriously take the pish to break it with the drop test. Have to say it has changed my opinion.

My old college lecturer tole me the problem with carbon is that it absorbs impacts and stores the energy.
Then releases it all at once.

I assume thats why lots of different weaves and mats are coming in to play?

I have carbon bars, stem, fork, seatpost and saddle, all superlight and super strong, BUT, you do have to pay for good design and that goes for Ti, steel and aluminium too.

Peeps have this fear about carbon, but how many 'top end' steel and aluminium parts have failed over the years.

I ride my bike at least once a week on the local bmx track and skatepark, and the only problem was a dropped chain.

TBH. I would be more concerned about the superlight steel frames, Ti seatposts, alloy bolts etc, and people that that over tighten their 'hex' bolts...

DHB":v56dqtyf said:
...if you crashed that on the trail and didnt hear the snapping noises because youre heads in the dirt you'd think it was ok to be riding until it actually does break on you. The alloy one would be bent and you could tell!!

They've isolated the frame for the test in order to demonstrate its strength.

In reality, a crash hard enough to put even 800lb through the frame would probably total your forks. That should give most riders a clue that its time to go shopping for a new frame.

Been using them on two of my bikes for years, one set of Ritchey risers are pretty manked up, but nothing really deep. I wouldn't use them on a downhill orientated bike, but for light XC I have no real worries.

Other set are Thorn straight bars and they live on my road orientated bike, dog walking and shopping duties.

I wouldn't go touring for 20k with them though, there is always that niggling niggle in the back of the brain.

Back