1996 Gary Fisher Montare restoration - Now complete

Wow man that thing is really nice. Not many people have the patience to assemble a logical groupo like you have done... Looks very under stated and factory fresh.. Even though it is totally custom!..love it!

thats fantastic! you have really brought the old girl bacl to life, and made her even better!

enjoy riding the moble nostalgia mobile!

Thanks guys, subtle and logical was the aim of the build. I have always liked the look that Fisher got with this model - others were a bit too blingy or boring for my tastes but for me they got this right. I remember weeks or months before i purchased this bike back in 1996 i would look at a catalogue and magazines every night and this model just stuck out. I liked the contrast of the yellow Quadra 21R and the white aluminium frame.

I do have the 1996 catalogue so was going for a catalogue build and then i thought why not upgrade the parts to what the top Fisher model had back in 1996. The top aluminium model was called the Supercaliber and had all XT so i thought i would go will full XT and have spent that last three months or so tracking it all down in as close to NOS condition as possible. I just coudnt get the wheelset to complete it so stuck with the LX ones - which i am happy with.
The Montare had Sugino crankset orginally and i wanted to stick with Sugino as i personally prefer the look over the XT so went with an XT equivalent spec hence the Mighty 900.

As for subtle i wanted it to look as though on first glance it was just like the catalogue picture but when you took a closer look you could see that those yellow shocks were not Q21R but Judy SL, and those components where not STX/LX but XT etc :D

Inzaman":2bz651dn said:
The frame is now at the Powder Coaters and decals en-route from Gil.

I have all period upgrades waiting to go on the bike - XT front, and rear mech, Sugino 900 crank set, XTR cantilevers, Judy SLs.
Also a new bottom bracket as the original (LP26) felt quite rough and not very good tbh, also new sealed headset as the original (Dia-Compe Kontak SA2) was not sealed and again started to feel a bit rough.

I don't know what to do about the gear levers now, i don't know whether to stick with the grip shift of go down the rapid fire route?
My friend, what does NOS mean in fact ?
I'm a brazilian Trek fan and bikes lover ever since I started to pedal them back when I was 6 y.o. Today I'm 43 y.o.
Congratulations for the great bike !

Trekker":26gj3e5x said:
Inzaman":26gj3e5x said:
The frame is now at the Powder Coaters and decals en-route from Gil.

I have all period upgrades waiting to go on the bike - XT front, and rear mech, Sugino 900 crank set, XTR cantilevers, Judy SLs.
Also a new bottom bracket as the original (LP26) felt quite rough and not very good tbh, also new sealed headset as the original (Dia-Compe Kontak SA2) was not sealed and again started to feel a bit rough.

I don't know what to do about the gear levers now, i don't know whether to stick with the grip shift of go down the rapid fire route?
My friend, what does NOS mean in fact ?
I'm a brazilian Trek fan and bikes lover ever since I started to pedal them back when I was 6 y.o. Today I'm 43 y.o.
Congratulations for the great bike !
Hi thanks and you must have some amazing trails in brazil :cool:

As for NOS that stands for new old stock, so basically old parts that have never been used :D

Nice work
it really looks great ;) soon get the old girl dirty :LOL: cant wait to nhit the trails with you ,once the elbow heals up dude :D

Beaut job. Well done. Am a real fan of Fishers - and Treks too but don't tell anyone! :D

captaincosmic":1uq4xafs said:
Nice work
it really looks great ;) soon get the old girl dirty :LOL: cant wait to hit the trails with you ,once the elbow heals up dude :D

Same here Steve. I am away next week so definitely the week after i will be a consistent fixture so to speak :D

It is seeing your lovely builds every other week that got me really enthusiastic to rebuild this and then not worry about getting it all dirty - using it is the name of the game, oh yeah also your fetish of using NOS XTR 900 gear helped as well :LOL:

Back