Rocky Mountain Blizzard 1994 - Update 26.01.13

bummer dude. When I got my Galaxy powder coated it wasn't perfect. I guess if it had been a set of alloys for a Range Rover or something it might have been done better, perhaps the paint shops just don't treat the cycle market seriously enough. Next time I will definitely enquire about the finish quality before I hand the frame over - that way there can be no dispute about any problems or mistakes. The moral of the story is don't assume anything - ask first.

Well, they did my Rock Lobster & that was Great!...Think I'll take it to the local frame builder to let him have it. May end up being painted then & retaining the Rocky Mountain detail on the dropouts...Much more pricey though!...

claret73":22h99fc9 said:
Link to how the frame looks & the decals I have...As I said, it'll be getting Prepped & repainted...The images don't show how it doesn't look like a Plain White Kona...(Incomiiinnnggg ;) )

http://s1033.photobucket.com/albums/a42 ... 4%20Frame/

The images do, you can see the sparkle, at least on my monitor.

The coating is pretty thick though looking at the dropouts and the text. Given it will have originally been powder coated. Must be different types of powder coating then.

They did my Lobster & am Happy with that. Yes, even the Lobster was a little thicker than I'd imagined Powder Coating to be, but the Blizzard is Very Thick, so much so as you've pointed out, the Dropout lettering has almost filled in...

I'm going to go down the route of Paint. The Guy I'll talk to is a framebuilder and should be able to give me good advice as to durability...To be updated...

Powder

I use a powder coater local to me and he used to doing cycel and motorbike frames, so it's more like paint than powder ,but he is pricey, compared to others, To be honest, I would recommend you do it yourself.
It's not that hard!
First strip and buff the frame with phosphor bronze brushes and Scotchbrite, then degrease with Meths, thoroughly.
Buy a Badger pro Airbrush from Halfords, these are about £50 and as they apply an extremely thin coat, it's easy to build multiple layers up, without any runs, use a good rust barrier undercoat, generally Zinc based, build up in thin layers. (The colur will affect the top coat colour, so choose accordingly.
Then apply a top coat of choice, there's loads of quality paint available now, for not a lot of money, most gets a good finish without lacquer.
Again build up in thin layers, it's all best applied in a warm atmosphere!
Maybe best practice first on something like old tins etc.
it will be much more rewarding than paying someone else and cost less too,
It's important that you give it a really good degreasing first!

Ranger
Thanks for the info. If I had a Warm Space other than the Living Room, I'd maybe think 'Yeah!'...I've got a Paint Guy lined up who will do all of that, Decaled & Lacquered for not much more money, than me spending loads on Air Guns etc...
Cheers for the Heads Up though...

Got my fame back today from the PowderCoat Company in Birmingham that just Dipped & Shot Blasted the old Powder off (see, previous page). Looks Good!!! Only a few minor imperfections which the Frame Builder is going to sort for me, prior to him respraying in a Pearlescent White. Couldn't be any other colour really hey?...Also had the P2's done at the same time. Looking forward to getting this back, should be 2-3 weeks pending the Framebuilder's time. Here are a few Pics seeing as the Sun was out this afternoon...

Attachments

• DownTubePitting.jpg
    DownTubePitting.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 798
  • HeadTube_Tig.jpg
    HeadTube_Tig.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 798
  • RM_Droput.jpg
    RM_Droput.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 798
  • TomRitchey_BB.jpg
    TomRitchey_BB.jpg