1992 GT Team Avalanche FINISHED

Cheers guys, a few nice updates to come. Just waiting on some small bits and pieces.

Watch this space. . . . . .

Thats going to look sweet, looks very clean and crisp in that blue, love it.

Lots of very cool GT's around at the moment, love it!

Small update, well more of a parts list awaiting assembly!

Drive

You cant get anywhere on a pretty frame alone so decided to go on a mix of OE and what I would like. . . . . . .

Mechs are OE and shifters are xt thumbies, wasnt too worried about cosmetics on the mechs as the bike will be ridden as hard as I can anyway!

p1020300q.jpg

Cranks are something I always wanted BITD. Revolvers! I know they are a bit heavy but the image of Tomac holding them like a gun always stuck with me :LOL:

Plus with the other Tioga kit and Japanese theme they fit a treat!

Again not the best cosmetically but not too bad, all they need is some new bearings in the driveside cup. NOS Tioga rings and XT pedals finish the drive line up (excluding chain and cassette!)

p1020299p.jpg

Decided as much as I like the Flite it looked a bit modern so found a 92 stamped Turbo.......

Will have to see if my ass agrees as I have never ridden one before :LOL:

As the drive had been sorted I had to consider stopping!

Braking

Rear brakes were easy as I had to use a U-brake, naturally the xt OE was best here. This one is in pretty good nick and has been treated to NOS XT blocks.

dsc00012uw.jpg

Front brakes were again as per OE, XTR M900. This is the 1st time I have ever used M900 and I have to say it is a great looking bit of kit!

dsc0004qct.jpg

And finally the levers to activate the brakes? Well I was originally tempted by M900 but I love the xt thumbies too much to compromise! Next best is of course XT.

dsc0006fx.jpg

Again these are pretty good nick with the original rubber hoods. Time to get on with some cabling!!!

p1020211t.jpg

From start...

Nice, humm, like it, uauu, really great ;)

Really great Bike you building, congratulations!

Hope to see it finished and rolling ;)

Nuno

Last couple of things to update!

Wheels and Tyres

I was keen to go as near original as possible and also get some dark coloured rims. Plus I was looking to keep the Japanese theme going!

I think the original rims would have be Araya and hubs would have been M900.

The hubs were found on ebay, stripped and re-greased. The Cassette is an immaculate 8-speed XT 11-30 and the skewers are M900 in great nick.

p1020303u.jpg

The rims were NOS off ebay US. Araya RM20 in black. They are sturdy and look good. Not the lightest but a great rim.

64183648.jpg

I had the wheels built at great expense with some double butted spokes and brass nipples. I need to learn this skill as you could save a fortune! I am really happy with these wheels. They cost more than I would have liked but I would not have been able to just buy them in one hit so it wasnt too bad.

Tyres are the re-issue Smoke / Dart combo. I was lucky enough to find some at a store in France!

I dont know what will hurt more, wearing the black from the rims or using the lush tyres :LOL:

70091479.jpg

1992 GT Team Avalanche

A little bit of tinkering and it is done!

Will look to get a few miles on it tomorrow weather pending, no doubt something will need tweeking or replacing :LOL:

10153507.jpg

69196310.jpg

96667912.jpg

61314993.jpg

23670099.jpg

57467497.jpg

11957576.jpg

46912792.jpg

Spec as follows.

Frame: GT Team Avalanche (re-sprayed blue)

Fork: GT 3D (matched to frame)

Headset: Tioga Avenger OS
Stem: Tioga T-bone Prestige (home re-sprayed to match frame)
Handlebar: Tioga Prestige
Grips: Ritchey

Brakes: XTR M900 front canti, XT rear U-brake
Brake Pads:M900 front, XT rear.
Brake Cables: Tioga
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills
Brake Levers: XT 2 finger, Tioga lever covers

Shifters: XT
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Tioga
Cassette: XT 8 speed