Yates Diabolo Build

xxnick1975":ewpedjpq said:
Very interesting build. I think I bought the "other" frame refered to in this thread last week. I'm going the same way with it - using what I have etc to get it rideable.

So far I have a wheel set, bars, stem and saddle sorted. I'm collecting a eBay special on Saturday that has some xt kit on it that I will try to transplant.

Hope it all works!

Sounds good, keep us posted, and take some pictures.

It will be worthwhile, I am delighted by the way my Yates rides.

had a bit of time today to stick a few bits on, here we go

dork disc will go too!

Attachments

• yates.jpg
    yates.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 427
  • yates 2.jpg
    yates 2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 427
A quick update on the Yates.

I am now putting in some serious training miles, both on and off road (and often a combination). I have yet to find the right tyre combination, as really good offroad tyres tend to have terrible rolling resistance, making the road miles even more painful, and if I go for a typical XC tyre, then I tend to run out of grip on some of the heavyweight rocky climbs I insist on tackling (unsuccessfully).

But, I have nothing but praise for the bike, and think the Diabolo has got to be one of the British bike industries best kept secrets. Admittedly, my experience is limited, as I have ridden almost nothing but my Zaskar since 1994. Never the less, the Diabolo is an extremely impressive bike, as it's light, nimble, fast steering yet predictable on the 'banzai' rocky downhills, and I have yet to experience even the slightest hint of flex, even when getting to the top of a steep climb in the wrong gear.

I am so very glad I bought this frame, and was very sorry to see a (badly described) frame and forks sell recently on the bay for under £60. Someone got a real mega bargain (which I suspect they knew).

Anyway, Stu, you are a mate for selling me this cracking little frame and I cannot see me parting with it for anything.

Thank goodness for that.

Well done, IMHO you've got yourself something a little bit special.

Please post some pictures on here. Some before and after would be great.

Back