deore 8 speed to 9 speed

I decided in the end to go with the 1x9. Damn chain reaction with thier 10% discount. I'm too easy.

I'll be running an Avid vbrake on the rear with a louise disc on the front. Full mullet, rigid 69er.

Hope I havent ruined it :shock:

just make sure you get the chainring lining up with middle (5th) cog as close as poss, run the chain as short as possible too. If you're running 1x9 you could also fit a short cage rear mech. Should shift sweetly then - good luck... let's see a pic of finished mullet?

I'll be sticking with my 'mega 9' deore cage for a while, till it's bent at least. For chain length it's wrap around the largest cog front and rear and add two links, correct?

gavinda":39tujfia said:
I'll be sticking with my 'mega 9' deore cage for a while, till it's bent at least. For chain length it's wrap around the largest cog front and rear and add two links, correct?

allegedly, but for my mind (on a hardtail at least) just long enough to run btm gear

The only thing you gain by going with a 9 speed cassette is finer cadence control unless you want a 36t toothed cassette then go for 9 speed. Most people do 1x9 rather than 1x8 because there bike started with 9 speed not because its "better". The for 1x9 fashion ( I did run 1x9 for a while but that when I wore the big ring out and bent the granny ring) did not start when 8 speed was still fitted new.

To be honest why not go single speed and save your self the hassle of deciding what cassette to run. You half way there already.

I did consider ss but I already have a trek 69er ss that I've been using for forest rides. I bought this after I'd stripped the blast down for rebuild. The blast I'll be using for long rides 30+ miles or allday pissup rides :).

I decided on the 1x9 simply because I'd sunk more money than I'd planned into this build and as the say, in for a penny, in for more than necessary.

Now if the treks rear hub fucks it , then I would be tempted to turn it Into an alfine geared bike and switch the kona to ss.

This allows me to keep a decent stable of bikes justified to swmbo.

Mind you, I have been gazing wistfully at the fatbike pages.

Back