Buckinghamshire

OK, Graham....looks like I'll be able to make it.
I'll bring the Edinburgh Highpath...
19eb11da.jpg

At least it'll be warmer that the -4 degrees of last time.

All the best,

danson67":27ve594c said:
OK, Graham....looks like I'll be able to make it.
I'll bring the Edinburgh Highpath...
19eb11da.jpg

At least it'll be warmer that the -4 degrees of last time.

All the best,

Can't wait to see this :shock: :D

Wow an area I know for once!!! :LOL:

Our club (Aylesbury CC) rides MTB's twice a week to the wendover woods area.

Some great trails when linking Whiteleaf to Ivinghoe! There is a bit for everyone, flat, calm routes to fast rooty single tracks.

Do love riding there!

Sparkzz":2umttmlg said:

Some great trails when linking Whiteleaf to Ivinghoe! There is a bit for everyone, flat, calm routes to fast rooty single tracks.

Do love riding there!

Great... you going to come on the 20th then??

Sparkzz":3ovtlnsc said:

Do love riding there!

Hi Sparkzz, I wonder how many of the ACC riders realise that in Britain, riding on purpose built off-road bikes began in these woods? And that regular monthly off-road rides from Wendover began in 1982.

Maybe you and some of your fellow ACC riders may wish to join us on May the 20th or some future date? :cool:

Ride The Summit Sixty-Five

Hi Graham

Good to bump into you yesterday near the Hale - trails were beginning to dry out nicely :) I had no idea of Cleland Bikes, Aylesbury and the history surrounding early British off-road riding in the area - great stuff!

Ride the Summit Sixty-Five http://65.summitmtb.co.uk/

Hi Graham

Good to bump into you yesterday near the Hale - trails were beginning to dry out nicely :) I had no idea of Cleland Bikes, Aylesbury http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/ and the history surrounding early British off-road riding in the area - great stuff!

As I said my club, friendly Summit MTB www.summitmtb.co.uk also rides regularly in the area, across the Chilterns and beyond and always welcomes new riders. Check out our website for regular, open try-out rides.

I'm also the event organiser for the Summit Sixty-Five, an MTB/off-road Sportive http://65.summitmtb.co.uk/ taking place on 17 June from Cressex School in High Wycombe in support of the Air Ambulance and Summit's British Cycling Go Ride initiative (promoting youth MTB/off-road riding). We're also working in partnership with Wycombe District Council to get more folks inc kids out on the trails on their (MTB) bikes.

We've 3 cracking routes lined-up from a challenging 65 miles to a youth/family friendly 15 miles with an intermediate 40 miles (65 km). The routes will be fully waymarked and comprise the Chiltern's best woodland and tree-lined singletrack, linking classic Chiltern byways, bridleways and quiet country lanes.

Unfortunately I can't make the ride on 20 May as I'm headed to the Test Valley Tour Hot Challenge but I'll look out for the next local ride.

Finally the owner of http://www.on2wheelscyclery.co.uk/ in Bourne End nr HW, Rich Key (a Summit member) is a vintage/retrobike enthusiast and very experienced in vintage and classic repairs.

Wendover ride 20th May 2012

Hi Richard,

Good to meet you on Saturday. And what are the odds of you having met the Hertfordshire rights of way officer who used to own my 1983 Cleland?
Previously on my ride, I had met someone at the Cafe in the Woods who recognised my bike and said he used to know Geoff Apps, the Cleland's designer. It would seem that it "is a small world after all".

In a way it's a shame that most people who ride these woods don't realise that it was here that British mountain biking started. Nor was it simply a case of copying what was happening in America.

As you say, the trails were far drier than I was expecting. I guess that most of the rain has been soaked up by the ground. That's not to say that there wasn't a lot of mud on some of the trails but it was all ride-able.

Its a shame that you can't make next Sunday's Wendover ride but I will post my future rides here so watch this thread for announcements.

Next Sunday's ride will take place even if it's raining though hopefully we will get some more good weather.:cool:

Regards,
Graham.

Back