Intense Tazer FS 1999 – Finished!!!! Pics on page 5

Thanks superstu!

Airlines were developed by Shimano in the late 90s as a bid to improve shifting reliability for downhillers. Basically high pressure air replaces the cable on the rear mech. Riders like Brain Lopes were used as test pilots. When finished it was an insanely expensive (limited edition) set to buy, costing around $1200. As you may have noticed, it didn't catch on... ;)

As said they take a bit of setting up to get properly dialed in, but when they are they're a breeze to use. One tank of air (ca 120 psi) gives around 300 shifts I seem to remember reading somewhere, which is optimised for a DH run (or a cruise round town! :cool: )

This brilliant site has the whole story if you're interested:
http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Shi ... 01%29.html

Cheers!

So when the air runs out, is it just a case of topping it back up with a pump of some description? I'm guessing that a shock pump would take forever...!

EDIT - I can see the schraeder valve underneath the dials now.. So I think I've answered my own question :oops:

As requested, specs and weight:

Frame: 1998 Intense Tazer
Shock: Fox Vanilla R

Fork: Rock Shox Psylo SL

Headset: Green anodised SARS (ano removed!)
Stem: Azonic Shorty 50mm
Handlebar: Azonic Double Wall
Grips: ODI Intense

Brakes: Magura Race-line D

Shifters: Shimano Airlines
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Airlines
Cassette: Shimano Airlines (7 speed)

Chain: SRAM (9 speed)
Cranks: Shimano XT
Chain Device: MRP Slalom (customised)
Bottom Bracket: Race Face
Pedals: Odyssey Shark Bite

Hub Skewers: Unbranded hex type
Rims: Mavic X221
Hub FR: Ringle
Hub RR: Shimano XT
Tyres: Maxxis Advantage 2.1

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Ringle Moby
Seatpost Binder: Intense

Weight: Approx 29.5 lb

LeeDevelopment":22woilzu said:
Howzit ridin' chap?

It's turned out to be the most fun I've had on two wheels! Mix a BMX with a DH bike and add a splash of freakiness and you end up with an ear-to-ear grin! :D
(as long as you remember to pump-up the Airlines... :oops: ;) )

Hats off to you sir, This bike is absolutely fantastic. Its like a rolling 1990s MTB museum. I'm so glad you have been riding it, I would love to see some action shots.

Back