Dawes Fixie

Ive got brakes that will fit as i was using them at first but with a fixed gear if you read the road well enough and keep at a steady pace then brakes in my opinion are not needed, i definitely ride slower now then when it was freewheel but it looks alot cleaner and i prefer it.

I'd be very interested to know what model brake callipers you were using to fit those 700c wheels. Might give them a go on mine as I don't like the 27" wheels currently fitted and have some much nicer 700c spare which will look better.
I like your bike's 'clean' look but I'll keep my front brake - it's hilly round where I live....

OK, I get it, you like the look of no brake. In my opinion you can ride brakeless reasonably safely if you are very steady and you live in a flat area. But then to add into the equation a total lack of foot retention is crazy. Please appreciate when people are giving this advice it is because cycling is dangerous at the best of times (with two brakes and a freewheel [I have been hit twice by cars in the past year]) but add into that equation the amount of control you are deliberately removing from a bike which is (I assume) being used in the town is just MAD :shock:

I live in a little village where all the cars are painted in shiny paint i read the road and keep my wits about me. I understand there are some idiot drivers out there and im sorry about your accidents and would not of liked to of been in your shoes.
but however much people want me to put brakes and/or foot retention on MY bike its not happening,
this isnt my daily commuter, xc bike or fast road bike its just a bit different.

I'm in the process of building my fixie, what gearing are you using? I was thinking of a 46/16 any recommendations ?

mines 52/16 and is a bit "tall" to be honest it does promote some bum in the air action at slow speeds in order to get going or you can just pull on the grips grit your teeth and push through it, if you know what i mean... ;)

Hey interesting chat, and nice bike, i have been riding fixed for the last 19 years . i love it and feel that it makes you a better and even faster rider when you jump on a geared bike.

The is riders out there that can skid stop very well with no brakes, I used to do this but i found it hurts my knees after a bit.

a front brake makes riding faster and safe. if you can’t skid stop by lock your legs on command then you must use a front brake. You may look cool. But not so cool when you go in to the back of a car .

I find spds great on my fixie after years of clips and straps.

You won't skid stop with 52/16 gearing, it'll just rip your feet out your ankles. You'll have to be hanging so far over the front of the bike to lock the back wheel up it won't have any slowing effect whatsoever :D

That said - it's a nice looking bike.

@foaf: the bog stock Weinmann calipers on a lot of old bikes have enough drop in them to reach 700C rims. The ones on my Viscount reached no problem.

thanks jonny69,
I know that the alloy Weinmanns came in many different drop lengths (including some wild BMX ones over 10cm deep!). However, they are rather flimsy and ineffectual. Is there anything with a drop deeper than 75mm which actually works well, other than Alhonga or Tektro dual pivots?

Latest posts

Back