Tour de France 2006

rody

BoTM Winner
Hey Melvin and Roy,

Saw that the tour rolled into your neighborhood today, did either of you drive over to see it come through?

Would love to see a stage sometime, don't think the organizers will every bring to me though ;)

cheers,

rody

I saw a few stages over the years .

The Tour even stopped in my town twice I think with a first category climb at the finish . The RMO team bus was parked outside my house so we had all our bikes serviced by the mechanics .
I also saw the finish in Paris .

It is amazing .

Next year the tour will pass near me , so I will be there .

I managed to get in on marshaling the tour last time it was in Portsmouth.
I had the opportunity to go see the finish one year, but i sold my ticket to fund a new mountain bike... was a poor student at the time.

In my home town the finish was a first category climb .
the day before the tour my club decided to organise a time trial just on the climb . Jerome Chiotti , who was not a pro at the time , but who was already very good did it in 20 minutes .

the following day , the winner of the stage did it in 14 minutes with 120 miles already ridden .

incredible .

rody":2vu9kjwk said:
Hey Melvin and Roy,

Saw that the tour rolled into your neighborhood today, did either of you drive over to see it come through?

Would love to see a stage sometime, don't think the organizers will every bring to me though ;)

cheers,

rody

Yes, though 260km away it is still our neighborhood :D We live near the coast about 30km above A'dam and the Tour went trough 'the mountains' in Limburg. A friend went there, I didn't. I know exactly what will happen if I go there: I see people cycling and than I want to cycle too ...but can't. So I went out cycling overhere -with 32 degrees celcuis :!: - and watched finish at television.

- Melvin

Very cool that each person has had an opportunity to check it out.

I'll have to resign myself to watching on the tele, although my wife is already plugging a trip to England next July :)

Decided to use my time productively and built up four wheels for the LBS while I watched Sundays stage. Started to get a bit excited during the time trial when Bobby Julich crashed and miscounted my lacing by one and didn't catch it til I had plugged in at least ten more spokes...DOOH! :oops:

Looking forward to the mountain stage on Thursday...

rody

I live about 5 min from where the Tour will pass next year .

we could organize a retro meet and go and watch the Tour at the same time .

Too cool Chris...we could race along side the road on our vintage MTB's garbed out in 80's neon, urging the racers on kinda like the Devil guy does in the mountain stages :LOL:

think we could get together a day early so we can work out a pace line that could keep up for at least 100 meters? :p

rody

Back